Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

9 years......

(11 Posts)
Chocydoo Fri 14-Mar-14 08:18:38

Been together 9 years...two kids. Furing an argument this morning I said he couldnt take the car, he said its his and everything we have is his. Nothing is ours its all his.
Is he legally right? My name isnt on anything and we arent married.

bragmatic Fri 14-Mar-14 08:23:07

He is on a strong position if he wants to get nasty, yes. Does your income pay any of the mortgage?

Chocydoo Fri 14-Mar-14 08:26:21

No. I am a housewife. Doesnt look good does it? X

bragmatic Fri 14-Mar-14 08:29:27

No. It really doesn't. He'll have to pay maintenance for his children, but assets that are in his name, are his.

Do you have somewhere to go? A career that you can resurrect?

Chocydoo Fri 14-Mar-14 08:38:36

Yes but not ideal really. I have a 7 month old baby and a 3 yr old.
Finding him trying to control me with money etc. I asked him to watch kids while I had a bath so I could get ready. Hadnt bathed in 2 days because i literally havent had time with a teething baby. Got out of the bath to dry my hair and he is taking over getting in the shower so now i have to look after the kids. It may seem minor but he does this all the time. When i ask him to mind the kids for 5 mins he says its my job because he works all day. If it doesnt suit him he doesnt do it. Im a bit sock of it all and i dont like being held to ransom over money either. His position of power has gone to his head.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Fri 14-Mar-14 08:42:21

What was the car argument about?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Fri 14-Mar-14 08:42:50

And yes, it does sound like his position of power has gone to his head! That's exactly what it sounds like.

Onesieone Fri 14-Mar-14 08:43:14

I was in a similar position a few years ago. When I gave up my career to mind our kids. I great fully fell into a role of 1950's housewife. Then I realised I had no me time and was getting no thanks. So, I started being less of a push over gradually. It worked things are very equal now thank god.

bragmatic Fri 14-Mar-14 08:45:09

Do you love him? Is there anything good about your relationship? Does he love you?

Offred Fri 14-Mar-14 08:48:06

You may be entitled for some things for you on the basis that you have children. I think you should go to a solicitor or CAB to get a proper idea as it can be complicated.

Nomama Fri 14-Mar-14 16:41:43

You DO have some rights as you have contributed to the life of the family. The 2 of you chose kids, SAHM etc.

Get real advice from legal beagles and make you choices depending on what they tell you.

Your man sounds controlling, at the very least!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now