Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Where to start with divorce settlement?

(11 Posts)
JSparky Wed 12-Mar-14 12:08:32

Well i have just had 1 hour of free legal advice and i still feel none the wiser! We separated on christmas day. Now decided to go for divorce. We have a house and mortgage. My name isn't on either. I gave up work when we married 7 years ago. We have 2 children together. I am doing a degree and won't be qualified for 18 months so buying him out of the house isn't an option. He is worth quite a bit in maintenance but not sure what to do about the house. I want to stay in it but being bought out could be a cleaner break. Help!

BeforeAndAfter Wed 12-Mar-14 12:23:30

You need some more free 1/2 hours. I used several firms.

Did you write a list of questions? If not, do that and then work through the list. If at the end of your free time you have more unanswered questions find another law firm for a free intro and go in with a new list of questions. This will also help you find a solicitor that you gel with.

You don't need to make any decisions yet anyway. You need his Form E to be submitted so that you have a full picture. That's when your solicitor can help you decide on the best settlement.

CashmereHoodlum Wed 12-Mar-14 12:29:47

I found that they didn't really want to tell you much during the free half hour. In the end I used the half hour to get a feel for the solicitor and it helped me to choose one, rather than getting any useful advice from that half hour. The first one I went to see was useless.

PottedPlant Wed 12-Mar-14 13:01:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JSparky Wed 12-Mar-14 13:38:38

Good idea about more half hours! She mentioned spousal maintennance...but would that just be whilst i am not earning? I have applied for matromonial rights over the property which should keep us safe for now. Any other advice about rights in divorce gladly received!

Lweji Wed 12-Mar-14 13:40:45

I think that for spousal maintenance, it relates to loss of earnings. It could be if you are not working, but it may also apply if you your job doesn't pay as much as the job you had before stopping work. Check it out.

BeforeAndAfter Wed 12-Mar-14 13:44:18

The questions you're posing here need to go on your list. You'll find that one question leads to another as you write them down. If you go in without questions written down you'll end up listening to what the solicitor wants to say rather than what you want to hear.

I think there's a legal section and divorce section on here - you might get more specific answers by posting there.

onetiredmummy Wed 12-Mar-14 13:46:13

If you are going to divorce him then are you going through a solicitor to do so? If you are, then the solicitor will advise on what's best.

You can always go to the CAB, they are free...

Lweji Wed 12-Mar-14 13:53:05

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/categories/spousal-maintenance

YNK Wed 12-Mar-14 16:29:51

Don't forget to look at pensions!!!

JSparky Wed 12-Mar-14 19:02:59

Yes pensions are another confusing issue! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now