Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

He broke my DS netbook

(11 Posts)
AtSea1979 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:43:18

After umpteen missed calls, I stupidly let him in to collect the last of his things. I didn't see it happen but it's too much of a coincidence.
I've been doing my dissertation on DS netbook. He knew I hadn't backed it up because I asked him where my memory stick for it was.
I've switched it on today and screen is buggered. I will put picture on if I can work out how.
Anyway, I'm so angry. I should have made statement for sexual assault but when nasty copper scared me I didn't but now I wish I had but I know that's unreasonable because it's guided more by my anger now rather than anything else. I guess I wanted to give him a chance to sort himself out and didn't want to put myself through all that but now its clear he'll never change and is nasty and I wish I'd found the strength before.
It's too late now though isn't it? The police will think I'm playing some petty game because of netbook, which I can't prove anyway.

AtSea1979 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:44:57

Hope this works

madeupstuff Wed 12-Mar-14 09:51:48

I can't help with your cock of an ex, but you may well be able to plug the netbook into a tv/monitor - it could be just the screen that's bust.

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Wed 12-Mar-14 09:54:12

Well, hopefully it's just the screen and your data can be retrieved safely - can you get a recommendation for a good pc fixer? Don't take it to PC world or anything like that!!

Secondly - yes, report him. It does not matter whether you think you are 'doing it in anger'. There is actually a far far bigger consideration, and it is this: he is being reported for sexual assault because that's what he did, and that is illegal, and evil, and you reporting it might be the start of saving someone else having to go through that.

If a broken netbook has given you the angry strength to a. report him and b. do it at a different police station after asking to report to the DV officer AND make a complaint about the first police officer who handled the case - BRILLIANT.

Will the police think you are playing a petty game?

'I didn't have the strength to pursue this after my first experience with the police and I just wanted it all to go away - now that I know (but cannot prove) that he is continuing with his activities and damaging my property I know I have to report this properly. I am scared of what he will do next as well as now having the strength to come here and report what happened at my first complaint. I have thought long and hard about it and know that I cannot keep silent about his assaults and would not be able to live with myself if he moved on to do the same to another person.'

Messing about? No, it doesn't sound like it to me.

AtSea1979 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:06:19

Thankyou Bruno, I may well write it all down to make things easier, and may use that.

AtSea1979 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:07:33

Would the police look at my mumsnet threads as maybe a time stamp so they know it's not something I just pulled out the sky today? (Hoping they had last weeks events on record anyway, but it wouldn't surprise me if not)

Deathwatchbeetle Wed 12-Mar-14 22:36:12

You could always print it off for them?? It probably would not stand as 'official' i.e. be used in court (not sure) but still, worth trying.

Yes do write out Bruno's words. It is understandable that you could not go through with it before.

Theoldhag Wed 12-Mar-14 22:48:03

Excellent post bruno

You could email it to yourself and then print out for police. The email will show time stamp.

Once you have a police ref no, you should be able to add info to it, so any time he continues with his abuse it gets added (you may need a record of his behaviour at some point. Do you have a police ref no from previous report? Also may be an idea to speak to womans aid for help, support and advise.

Good luck and hope he stops bullying you.

Theoldhag Wed 12-Mar-14 22:49:02

Ps hope that dd's NetBoot can be mended, what a bastard sad

Bogeyface Wed 12-Mar-14 23:38:35

WRT the net book, try plugging a monitor into it. My dad has sight issues so used his laptop plugged into a large monitor and it worked fine.

YYY to reporting the assault. Dont let one dickhead PC put you off, in fact I would be inclined to mention that it was him that put you off reporting it sooner.

sykadelic Thu 13-Mar-14 01:46:30

If plugging it into a monitor doesn't work, you could ask someone to remove the hard-drive and try and retrieve the data that way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: