Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

LTB?? If you can't get Legal Aid how DO you leave ?

(10 Posts)
januarycat Mon 10-Mar-14 20:02:00

Just that, really.

I, along with God only knows how many women in abusive relationships, can't get Legal Aid.

Financial abuse means I cannot afford to get divorced. I want/need to get divorced because of the abuse.
The emotional abuse led to depression. I recently had to increase my meds & asked my doctor to provide a letter stating my depression was due to DV. She refused.

Today I asked H for some money for food. He last paid money into my account just before christmas. I'm a sahm. He laughed at me & told me I could have some money if I let him sell my car.
He has just booked a 2wk holiday for himself.

So, yes, I need to LTB. But how?

Joules68 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:08:22

Call women's aid? They will help

If you move to a hostel you can claim benefits. Then you can see about where you go from there

Some councils run a rent assist scheme

You can do it

bongobaby Mon 10-Mar-14 20:08:52

Womens aid can help you out of this abusive situation

Viviennemary Mon 10-Mar-14 20:10:11

I think you might still be able to get Legal Aid in the case domestic violence. You could try the Citizens Advice Bureau on how best to proceed.

tipsytrifle Mon 10-Mar-14 20:11:47

januarycat - do you have another thread going on? The car thing sounded familiar - but i know these tyrants like to go for the car as that's an escape vehicle and surrender on that must be soooo sweet ... pffttt!

Others will be along soon with better advice but my guts say you and DCs need to just leave and worry about affording anything later. Leave, with the car too.

Divorce per se can wait .. leaving is the mission ...

Is there anyone at all you can go to? Have to talked to Women's Aid? I'm not sure if financial abuse counts for legal aid but think it might these days after recent changes. Others will know better.

ballinacup Mon 10-Mar-14 20:16:40

Ask to see another GP, most of them aren't arseholes and will give you the letter you need for legal aid.

januarycat Mon 10-Mar-14 20:26:26

Yes, tipsy I have had other threads

Its not a 'conventional' marriage in that we have always lived in separate houses.

BUT I own the house I live in with DCs jointly with H. He comes & goes as he pleases.

He is the sole owner of his house. I do not have a key, he gave it to his (male) friend who moved in a couple of years ago.

EirikurNoromaour Mon 10-Mar-14 20:31:45

Are there solicitors who will work on the basis that they will collect their fee from the financial settlement? How much equity do you have in the house?
Have you claimed benefits as a single parent yet?

januarycat Mon 10-Mar-14 22:11:19

I am still waiting to hear with regard to benefits.

And H is waiting to hear with regard to tax avoidance (He doesnt know that I know)

It is all very complicated & the more I dig the more complicated it becomes. Off shore companies, loans, houses in uk & off shore, accountants & lawyers who arn't registered in uk. Buisness & property links to said
lawyers. Previous tax investigations not just for H but siblings also.

So, I need a very good lawyer.

januarycat Mon 10-Mar-14 22:17:09

And, good lawyers cost money....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now