Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Getting over someone...

(8 Posts)
pinchpunch Mon 10-Mar-14 13:36:17

you are still overwhelmingly physically attracted to, even though you know you can never be with them (and their actions leave a lot to be desired)

Aren't people who are horrible on the inside supposed to become unappealing? How can I make this happen?

I'm obsessed and don't know how to let go. This is so pathetic. Please help!

HotDAMNlifeisgood Mon 10-Mar-14 15:08:09

If it's a physical thing, then arrange to not be in their physical presence anymore.

Time will do the rest.

And distractions - lots of them! Hobbies, friends, exercise, nights out.

niceupthedance Mon 10-Mar-14 15:54:35

If he's horrible on the inside then just remind yourself of all his shitty attributes any time you find yourself mooning over him.

WhereOWhere Mon 10-Mar-14 16:16:54

No contact and lots of distractions.

And imagine how your life will be in 12 months time if you carry on feeling how you do now. Consider if that's what you want.

pinchpunch Mon 10-Mar-14 16:37:44

Really don't want to feel like this in a year - logically I totally know he's not worth it either. It's just so hard to see someone you crave so much with someone else.

Coelacanth Mon 10-Mar-14 19:58:15

Know how THAT one feels. Still can't be in ex h's presence (so haven't been for well over a year now) without the old hankering because although ugly on the inside he's a charmer. I ask myself how can someone so apparently wonderful be such a fuck? But he can and that's the bottom line.

Do as other's have suggested and it will get easier.

Lavenderhoney Mon 10-Mar-14 20:35:33

You have to go nc, avoid and if you have a tendency to drink and dial/ text stop that toosmile don't look him up on social media and avoid him like the plague.

You can read up on why you find his ilk attractive or refuse to give him a minutes more headspace and fill your time with anything else.

Its very hard, but take it slowly and you'll be ok. Don't start the merry go round again.

pinchpunch Mon 10-Mar-14 21:51:54

It's the social media thing. I can't help but look. Need more willpower! Every time I do I think it'll be ok and won't affect me... But I guess it does.

Does it work to try and preten he doesn't exist? Wish I'd never met him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now