Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When your kids decide it's time you got back on the dating horse again.

(12 Posts)
Coelacanth Wed 05-Mar-14 19:40:56

My lovely DD wants me to meet someone nice (and so do I actually but I'm busy, don't like OD and there's a dearth of single suitable chaps where I live).

So she got talking to a chap my age when out with her partner and she was showing him some photo's she'd taken and one of me came up. He said "she's pretty, who's that?" DD said it's my mum and then he wanted to know if I'm single etc etc (which he is btw, as her partner confirmed - and DD has an excellent twat-radar for that sort of thing). So some weeks later and it seems he would like to meet me and DD wants me to 'meet her' on Friday night when he'll be out in the same place. I'm curious, but the idea of DD setting up what is essentially a blind date feels a bit hmm to me. She's adamant he's a "nice bloke Mum".

What do you reckon? I figure I've nothing to lose - or have I? I've already had the "I refuse to be a MILF" conversation grin.

CakeWillDo Wed 05-Mar-14 19:52:46

go for it, why not.

BigArea Wed 05-Mar-14 20:11:22

Lovely, go for it you've got nothing to lose

Qix Wed 05-Mar-14 22:17:05

At first I thought your DD was a child, which would be a bit odd. But since she has a partner it assume not.

Sounds fine to me.

Lweji Wed 05-Mar-14 23:12:51

What have you got to lose, but an hour or two of your time?
Hopefully you will have a good time anyway, regardless of whether you end up in a relationship with him or not.

Coelacanth Thu 06-Mar-14 07:42:59

I think it's DD who'd like to see me in a relationship! I'm quite happy doing my own thing really but a nice casual thing appeals smile

Theoldhag Thu 06-Mar-14 07:56:41

Your dd sounds lovely and a huge credit to you thanks

My dc were very interested in my dating practises smile, it was because of them that I am happily engaged to a wonderful man. I had met him online and we became friends for about 6 months (as that was how I felt comfortable with at first). We all met up for a walk one day and at the end my dd said to me 'have you kissed him yet mummy? Because I think you should!' So next time he and I met up we kissed, my dd now says that we don't come up for air!

We are all so very happy, all 5 of us

diddl Thu 06-Mar-14 08:26:16

Well you've got nothing to lose, as long as your daughter won't care if you don't get on with each other!

Why is she so bothered about you meeting someone?

Is it something you've mentioned or does she think that a partner is needed for a fulfilling life??

HotDAMNlifeisgood Thu 06-Mar-14 08:53:54

I applaud the fact that you feel you have a fulfilling life already. With that in mind, you have absolutely nothing to lose in meeting with this man: either you have no interest in him, in which case your fantastic life proceeds as before, or you gain a potential new friend, or you gain a couple dates to see how much you both like each other. All of those scenarios sound like a win.

Is it that you feel your DD is "meddling"? She is doing no more than what any good friend would do for any of us: see a potential match, and let the two of you work out if you're interested.

rockybalboa Thu 06-Mar-14 08:58:10

Go for it!! Good luck!

Coelacanth Thu 06-Mar-14 09:22:59

Thanks for your responses.

She's not bothered that I'm single, she said that it's simple - she believes we'd get on. What surprises me is that when I've dated before she's rolled her eyes at my choices and she's been right grin. DD wouldn't compromise me in any way, she's happy in her relationship and once we've met she's bowing out. Dating isn't something I've thought about for ages, I've got a lot on in my career and my social life is busy.

I guess it's a bit weird when a child (although she's an adult) does the picking, but in this case she has said this is about this particular man. So I've said it's a go-er and I've an open mind.

BigArea Thu 06-Mar-14 13:01:21

Let us know how you get on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now