Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

on line info on potential dates

(11 Posts)
jesy Fri 28-Feb-14 09:27:42

Just a quick thought last night I was discussing dating with some one I worked with .
Long story short whenever she dates some one new she does her words not mine a bit of on line stalking to see if they are who they say they are.
Does any one else do this?

Theoldhag Fri 28-Feb-14 09:39:30

I think that this is just sensible online dating hygiene, to make sure that the person is who they say they are and have not been convicted of anything.

jesy Fri 28-Feb-14 09:45:38

I must admit I did check Sat night's date facebook page only out of curiosity as he wrote something to my ex .

MrsIrony Fri 28-Feb-14 09:52:22

I think this is a good idea. I was, until recently, seeing someone and did a quick google of his name one night and discovered he was registered as bankrupt. Not that it should have affected our relationship but I recalled having a long conversation with him about business and money etc when we were still seeing each other. We touched on the subject of bankruptcy and he most definitely gave the impression he knew nothing about it and had given all sorts of explanations as to why he was, at a relatively late stage in his working life, pretty much penniless. Honesty, at the moment, would have been a good indicator that he was a keeper. That wasn't the reason for the relationship ending but it most certainly served me as a reminder to do a bit of checking in the future. I am now convinced that he was feeling uncomfortable about me being solvent and relatively comfortable with my financial situation and that it contributed to some pretty bizarre behaviour causing the breakdown of the relationship. Knowledge is a good thing. We all need to know what we are dealing with and, sadly, some are less than honest about their past and current situation.

jesy Fri 28-Feb-14 10:10:04

I've seen them do it on catfish an d well since op I have had a good nose
Lol
All good stuff tho even the dodgy singing on you tube lol

Theoldhag Fri 28-Feb-14 10:20:11

May I also suggest that if 'you' are online dating then it is a good idea to set up an email account (one that allows blocking) just for this using a profile name and not your real name, also a skype account in the same name, using skype instead of your phone enables you to block and delete much easier and to not give out your phone number when some people can end up being pita's.

Before I met my lovely fiancé I came up against a murderer, a married man (ewww) and friends have met men that have massively lied about their ages, been players on shag sites, etc etc.

Also always have a jump ship plan if you do meet someone irl, inform a friend where you are going and what time you expect to be home by. I have friends that have been given spiked drinks and date raped.

Any thing that keeps you safe, especially if you have children is worth the effort.

jesy Fri 28-Feb-14 10:32:00

Yes I'm on line dating and have checked to see if he ok via my ex.

But I have not gone to the extent of the mate I was talking about

Theoldhag Fri 28-Feb-14 10:35:20

Good luck jesy and remember go with your gut smile

jesy Fri 28-Feb-14 10:45:31

Well I interrogated my ex about him he says he a good bloke hard working , own business , a good laugh ( ex even texted a pic of them dressed up as faiths) ,
So I'm going on instinct

Ivedunnit Fri 28-Feb-14 11:03:03

Yes I do the same and then leave their mobile number and name with a friend and also check in when I arrive and check in when I leave.

kentishgirl Fri 28-Feb-14 15:26:04

It's not really any riskier than meeting someone at the pub, out and about etc. So I use the same precautions: make sure someone knows who I am meeting and where, and give their phone number, and meet in daytime first off, in a public place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now