Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Stepsister issues

(10 Posts)
NewChoos Mon 24-Feb-14 16:18:46

Not really a step sister but we were brought up together.

She sometimes makes the most unkind comments.
i.e. when I am pregnant = how fat I am (said at 39 weeks, I had put on 2 stone).

I find her a bit bitter and negative and would probably have very little contact if I as not close to her sister (whom I consider a sister as she does me).

I generally try and tolerate her and limit contact.

Saw her last week and she commented on 'how foreign' my DD looks and that she's darker than my DS. My DC are mixed race (as is she, which makes it even more bizarre). For clarity, I have Indian heritage, DH is caucasian, DC look exactly the same!

I didn't say anything, as she would have just blown up and said I was being sensitive. But I don't think it's nice to comment on how dark they are or not, and I don't want the DC to think this is relevant (Not sure if I am explaining myself well).
I really don't know how to handle her.
There are other more minor issues nosiness/trying to crash in on me meeting with friends, I have now started to meet some friends in secret!

How can I nip this in the bud without looking hysterical?

Hissy Mon 24-Feb-14 16:22:26

Use the standard MN expressions :

"Did you mean to say that out loud?"
"Did you mean that to be so mean/bitchy/nasty/rude?

Oh and a good one 'Oh don't be so riduculous!" and laugh it off.

If all else fails, go for her and tell her to FTFO and not to be such a bitch...

Hissy Mon 24-Feb-14 16:22:55

LET her blow up if you have to! Your feelings are just as valid as hers!

NewChoos Tue 25-Feb-14 09:02:10

Yes, you are right, I just can't stand the fall out when I stand up to her!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 25-Feb-14 09:16:32

If she falls out just because you dare stand up for yourself, so what? It's OK for her to be unkind and hurt your feelings but it's not OK for you to do the same thing?...

NewChoos Tue 25-Feb-14 09:25:26

She would say she is just giving her opinion/telling the truth and that I am over reacting.

I know….

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 25-Feb-14 09:32:40

You can waste a lot of a perfectly good life trying to stay the right side of touchy people with a chip on their shoulders. smile Some are so far gone they get offended if you say good morning 'in a funny way', IME. So I don't bother these days. Tell the truth, shame the devil, then walk away without a backward glance.

NewChoos Tue 25-Feb-14 09:35:51

Yes, I have got to say something, I don't want DC to think colour is at all relevant. It's really silly as they really pale and sometimes I feel like saying "I am their mum!' in case anyone is in any doubt smile

NewChoos Tue 25-Feb-14 09:39:03

That's a great saying btw.

WhateverTrevor83 Tue 25-Feb-14 11:09:06

She sounds a bit jealous?

I'd take the p out of her ('you need to start saying things in your head before you say them out loud') etc, it should shut her up or at least make her see you won't just ignore comments like that.

She may not realise she is saying stupid things either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now