Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you "make love" to your partner or "have sex"?

(92 Posts)
deepest Mon 24-Feb-14 14:36:53

For me its just sex - although the sex is good - it could be anyone - are we just FBs?

RudyMentary Mon 24-Feb-14 14:39:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MirandaWest Mon 24-Feb-14 14:40:12

Depends. Sometimes we have sex. Sometimes we make love.

gamerchick Mon 24-Feb-14 14:40:50

yep both depending on the mood. There's a difference to that slow connecting shizzle and the flinging each other around the bedroom like animals grin

Neitheronethingortheother Mon 24-Feb-14 14:42:06

both and then some smile

hootloop Mon 24-Feb-14 14:42:43

I would say both depending on what we both need. I had an ex who always called it making love but it never felt like that.

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 24-Feb-14 14:43:11

I loathe the phrase "make love".

I like having sex, shagging, bonking, fucking, etc. It's allowed to be fun and doesn't have to be a deep spiritual encounter.

Namethischildplease Mon 24-Feb-14 14:43:40

We have sex.

I can't bear the phrase 'make love'.

It does matter that it's him though. It couldn't 'be anyone'. But everything from a quickie to something more involved is 'sex' to me, not 'making love'.

DownstairsMixUp Mon 24-Feb-14 14:44:06

Sex. Making love just sounds really naff.

Dahlen Mon 24-Feb-14 14:44:31

Both. Depends on the context leading up to it. Isn't that part of the fun?

deepest Mon 24-Feb-14 14:46:21

Thats made me feel a lot better -- dont feel so guilty now - about the love bit !! - I like sex so does he - I was feeling guilty that it was not romantic....

IHateWinter Mon 24-Feb-14 14:48:29

I suppose the question is does it include lots of long, deep meaningful eye gazing or not.

hellsbellsmelons Mon 24-Feb-14 14:49:51

Both for me too.
But if this is working for you then that's great.
Nothing wrong with a FB. Nothing at all to feel guilty about. You are both consenting adults!

LisaAYarrow Mon 24-Feb-14 14:50:34

Weird one. I think it's possible to still be making love during really dirty kinky sex! Depends on your partner I suppose and how you define 'making love' although I agree, the phrase is vomit-worthy.

FracturedViewOfLife Mon 24-Feb-14 14:53:42

Sex. Definitely.

chrissy74 Mon 24-Feb-14 14:53:45

depends.
sometimes soft and gentle
sometimes hard and fast

LEMmingaround Mon 24-Feb-14 14:55:32

We fuck

NowLivingAbroad Mon 24-Feb-14 14:57:39

Definitely fuck and that's what we say to each other too! Who said the French were romantic?! I hate the phrase "make love" with a passion.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 24-Feb-14 14:58:50

Shag like bunnies

Let's go bonk

Do you want some sex?

It varies

RandallFloyd Mon 24-Feb-14 14:59:13

Make lurve <shudder>
It's the phrase Feathery Strokers whisper in your ear, all breathy like. Bleeeee.

MsIngaFewmarbles Mon 24-Feb-14 15:01:28

I loathe that phrase. Both though, sometimes in the same session. Depends on both our moods, romantic almost spiritual bonding or filthy fucking, it's all good as long as you're both on the same page smile

ChoccyDigestive82 Mon 24-Feb-14 15:10:57

Both, sometimes it's passionate, sometimes just pure lust smile either way it's good here smile

Leviticus Mon 24-Feb-14 15:18:09

Your OP doesn't really match your title. Do you want to know what we call it or if it's ok for you to have sex with someone you don't have feelings for?

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 24-Feb-14 15:22:24

I've only ever heard the phrase 'make love' once, and that was from my mother.

Out of nowhere, having never talked to me about sex or relationships or anything (well, there was the once, when I had a serious boyfriend at 17, and she said "and don't think I would be willing to give up work and look after any baby", and this was out of nowhere, as we hadn't even had sex yet and wasn't in the context of anything to do with me!

Anyway, out of nowhere, after me saying a few days previously that I had a water infection, she said (on the phone) "After you and [DH] make love, make sure you go and wee ..." ! I nearly died. If we had the kind of relationship where we talked about that kind of thing whilst I was growing up and into adulthood and whatever, it wouldn't have been such a surprise, but for it to come out of nowhere at the age of 32 or so, I was speechless.

smile

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 24-Feb-14 15:38:36

Sex. I hate the term 'making love'. It makes me cringe a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now