Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

im self destructing

(31 Posts)
holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 15:22:37

I should name change but can't be bothered I always get it wrong

Got to just get something off my chest

I am becoming more and more a risk taker.
It's like a compulsion or maybe a self destruct?

I don't know. I seem to have given my number out a lot on a night out. 4 men called me yday.

It gets worse.
I feel numb about it but I think im looking for an escape.

I was abused as a child and raped as a teenager but have always used sex to make myself feel better.

I'm not even that young..mid 40.

I've been called a slag by 2 people close to me in the last couple of weeks

I cant do normal relationships

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 15:25:41

No, you clearly don't have much luck with relationships, given that your 'friends' choose to call you a slag! How dare they!

Are you in a relationship? If not, then you're not doing anything wrong as such but you're clearly not happy, and for this reason it needs to change.

You say "it gets worse" - in what way? Do you have any real, non-judgemental friends?

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 15:26:32

the only person who judges your life, and whose opinion matters, is you.

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 15:30:43

No relationship. My ex cheated. That broke a lot of trust. Trust is something I've never really been able to do.

I actually feel happier alone though

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 15:32:27

Good for you.
So what is the problem (genuine question)? You meet someone, you like them, you have sex with them, they have your number, they call you? Is it that you actually don't want to be doing this? Or are you choosing the wrong man, any man? Do you have children?

RandomMess Sun 23-Feb-14 15:32:30

Please find yourself a very good qualified therapist - pyscotherapist and deal with the hurt you are carrying before you self destruct.

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 15:33:36

OP I asked what you mean by "it gets worse", don't answer if you don't want to. You say you're self destructing/risky behaviour and I believe you, the details don't matter too much.

Smartiepants79 Sun 23-Feb-14 15:38:08

Are you taking risks in other areas of your life or just this?
Have you thought about finding something else to channel this need into?Something risky but safe it you get what I mean.
Can you try minimising the impact the behaviour has on the rest of your life? Giving out email details rather than numbers. Set up a new, free email for just that.
Have you had any help/councilling to help you deal with the past?
Not sure if any of this is helpful. I've not experienced this myself.
I think you have already done the hardest bit, recognising the behaviours are a problem and trying to make some changes.

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 15:45:00

I dont seem to have any sense of danger or I don't care
yesterday I walked around London not wanting to go home

I have kids yes.

I work.

I am sick of being called vulnerable and or a slag. These are the labels I always get.

The getting worse is the sex with virtual strangers

RandomMess Sun 23-Feb-14 15:47:25

Please get some help. I have self-destructed in the past, it's not pretty and the consequences long lasting.

Hugs & flowers

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 15:50:25

Who is calling you these things? Because cutting these people from your life needs to be the first priority IMO. With friends like that, who needs self-loathing grin

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 15:51:02

Thanks.

Will try. At least I have seen it for what it is now I suppose

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 15:51:55

Ex husband dc dad
and someone at work who decided because I wear skirts I was asking for it

RandomMess Sun 23-Feb-14 15:56:30

Well ignore them. What you have realised is that you are hurting and trying to feel better about yourself through casual sex which you are actually not happy about, hence why I suggest finding someone who can help you.

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 15:56:35

My children are away in holiday times and I only do this then or on a day off by the way

They are my priority 24/7

And I have no support

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 15:57:05

Knobhead and rapist then sad .
Their opinions don't matter in the slightest.
I'm so sorry for everything you've been through. You deserve better.

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 15:57:26

Thanks random. What kind of thing happened to you?

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 15:58:51

Thanks stealth, I think I know this but you know I seem to be sort of self harming in this way?
And I kind of enjoy telling them to bugger off after

RandomMess Sun 23-Feb-14 16:01:26

As in when I self-destructed?

Ran away from my life, had more dc, unsuitable relationships.

It's all just a way of both trying to fill the whole the past caused and simultaneously punish myself. Not good.

StealthPolarBear Sun 23-Feb-14 16:01:30

I think you are very perceptive.

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 16:18:50

Thank you random I agree

RandomMess Sun 23-Feb-14 16:21:33

"whole" = hole!!!!

The fact that you are perceptive enough to realise what you are doing will probably mean that you will get a lot out of seeing a psycotherapist or similar. I really struggle with my rational self that sees how I behave and my emotions of how I react. It's certainly an on-going process!

OxfordBags Sun 23-Feb-14 16:24:13

It's sadly very common for survivors of abuse and rape to behave the way you describe. A good therapist will be able to really help you, taking things at your pace. Even if you weren't tskng these risks, you could do with therapy for your past.

A lot of thisbehaviour is due to having your boindaries destroyed when you were younger, but part of it is a cry for help; putting yourself in potential danger, or in situations you don't really want to be in, is a way of crying out to be rescued - because you weren't saved when you were younger. But the only person who can save you is yourself. Ackowledging that your behaviour is scaring you, and destructive, is the first step. You also owe it to your children for their mother to be safe and alive. Please reach out for professional help.

holstenlips Sun 23-Feb-14 16:54:37

Thanks Oxford. Yes my kids deserve better.
If I didn't have them it'd be a different story. Fwiw I've had tons of therapy in my life.

This doesn't mean I don't need more obviously!

One of my kids is an adult and left home.
The other is away during holidays.
At these times I do worry my luck will run out. And some weirdo will get me. But at the time I don't really care all that much.
I regret giving my number out..ive had to block.

So happy on my own so im not interested in a relationship. They never work.

I am self sufficient. That's a positive.

OxfordBags Sun 23-Feb-14 17:03:01

I didn't mean you are a bad mum, it's obvious how mich you care, just that even if you sometimes don't careabout what happens to you, THEY care.

There's a proper term for what you're doing now, but I can't think of it right now. Basically, you're re-enacting the hurt as a way to exorcise it - your body was not allowed to be safe or respected, you weren't allowed to have boundaries, and, on one level, you're testing the world to see if it's safe now. But it's too dangerous a test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now