Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I have a drink problem and so does my DH

(6 Posts)
Drunkmarriedtodrunk Sun 23-Feb-14 15:01:29

I've posted here before about my DH's drunken behaviour, and have been advised to go to Al Anon. I haven't been, partly because I am so ashamed of my own drinking.

I've kidded myself that I'm a 'better' drunk, as I don't get into as many scrapes as he does. But if I'm honest, when I do they are pretty awful. Last year I had a drunken ONS (which DH knows about and for which I take full responsibility), last night I shouted at someone to fuck off. Admittedly, he was about to throw coins at my DH who'd just fallen over, but it's still obnoxious.

I'm sitting here crying. I can't pretend that I'm okay, because I'm not. I don't have many people I can talk to IRL.

Earlybird Sun 23-Feb-14 15:30:12

Good for you admitting that you have a problem. That is an important first step. Does your dh admit he has a problem too?

I can understand that it seems a huge step to go to Al Anon, as it is admitting 'officially' that you have a problem. But think of it this way: as ashamed as you may feel about your excessive drinking, it is far better to go for guidance and help to learn to manage the issue. Much worse to continue your current path, and do nothing.

In a way, it is good that both you and dh have an issue, so you can support each other as you learn a new way of living.

Be brave. You can do it.

Lweji Sun 23-Feb-14 15:47:14

Just for the record, I'd do more than say fuck off to anyone who was about to throw coins at anyone who had just fallen over. And that would be sober.

But it's good that you recognise that you do have a problem with drinking. You should talk to your GP or contact AA (a different centre from your OH, if I'm not mistaken).
You should be proud that you admit to the problem. And you will be more when you seek help. smile

cardiandcrocs Sun 23-Feb-14 16:53:03

Please use this info op. Well done for admitting that you have a problem.

0845 769 7555
help@alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk
Calls charged at local rate on BT lines.

neverthebride Mon 24-Feb-14 13:59:05

There's a lot of help out there if you both want it.

Convincing yourself you're a better drunk is really common. It is very, very hard to admit you have a drinking problem and excusing your drinking and your behaviour is par for the course.

Now you recognise the problem and it sounds like a cliché but that really is the first (and hardest) step.

Well done!. Access some help and support and don't be too hard on yourself.

Drunkmarriedtodrunk Mon 24-Feb-14 20:26:27

Thank you everyone for your support. flowers

DH and I are accessing help. I'm cautiously optimistic for both of us, but I know that I can only look after myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now