Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Some advice please...

(8 Posts)
Mum2Fergus Sat 22-Feb-14 10:50:54

Hi...question on behalf of a relative (honestly!)...she has been living with P for 7 years and they have a 4yo together. House is mortgaged in her name only and can prove she paid deposit on her own..she has discovered some things sadly, and wants him out of the house. Can anyone tell me how she stands legally in terms of removing his stuff and changing locks?

Joysmum Sat 22-Feb-14 10:58:07

They aren't married?

Mum2Fergus Sat 22-Feb-14 11:02:16

No, not married or engaged...

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 22-Feb-14 11:24:04

Are the deeds as well as the mortgage in her sole name?

Mum2Fergus Sat 22-Feb-14 11:31:51

They are Cog, yes...she bought before he was on the scene.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 22-Feb-14 11:49:39

Then, even if he has contributed financially to either the mortgage or the upkeep of the house, he's really no more than a glorified lodger. He has no rights to the property and she can do anything within reason to get him out and keep him out. If she's at all in two minds, CAB or a quick chat to a solicitor would set her straight.

Mum2Fergus Sat 22-Feb-14 12:15:46

Thanks Cog...alas we've been here before but I get a real sense of determination from her this time...

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 22-Feb-14 13:14:21

Well then. Determined or not, as long as she doesn't cave as far as to marry the bloke, she should be OK. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: