Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Are we still too British for sex?

(21 Posts)
Meerkat10 Tue 18-Feb-14 18:58:05

Hello Mumsnetters, a few months ago I started writing a sex blog and have received a few snubs and snarks from people who I can only describe as 'prudish'.

Now not everyone's going to be a fan of course, but these people, rather than just letting me be and going off on their way seem to believe that openly discussing sex is fairly much a fast track to the devil's dinner table and feel the need to tell me off, and this I'm a little surprised by (my blog is pub convo naughty in places. Open, and frank, but by no means a sordid smut fest, I'm a good girl).

And so I'm a little surprised to tell the truth. My favourite comment I received today - "you shouldn't be writing about sex because you're a mum'. This was by a mum, clearly by event of immaculate conception.

So I just wondered, how comfortable in general women are with sex and sexuality? About talking about (and reading about) sex and sex related topics - do you find sex-talk distasteful, or intriguing? Are you comfortable with your sexuality or shy? Do you get so diverted by a tasty sex snippet online that you end up burning dinner, or do you spray your computer with antibac? ;)

Would love to hear some thoughts!

SerenaBracken Tue 18-Feb-14 19:24:32

I didn't know this was a discussion thread for possible inclusion in rags.
I thought this thread was for those who are suffering trauma and seek solace from others in a similar situation.

It's not that one burst through the door saying, "TaDa I'm here is it?"

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 18-Feb-14 19:32:47

Tip.... don't start an online blog that sets out to shock people with your open views on sex (yawn) if you can't deal with less than enthusiastic reactions ... hmm

Meerkat10 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:35:02

- I couldn't find a more appropriate thread to put it on, if there is one then I'll gladly put it on there.

And no, it's not an attention-for-my-blog thing, at all! That's what the bloggers network is for, and I've no wish to alienate people by shameless plugging. I genuinely just want to know what people have to say and had to explain why.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 18-Feb-14 19:38:18

Why the mystery? Some people are happy chatting about sex, others want to keep it private, others are repressed... women as well as men, of course.... don't you talk to people IRL?

Meerkat10 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:44:41

- am not out to shock anyone. That would be tedious for sure. Nor am I unable to 'deal' Was merely asking a question out of curiosity.

TinselTownley Tue 18-Feb-14 19:45:06

I would think anyone who sources and reads a sex blog only to leave an anti sex blog comment is at best confused.

Doratheexplorersboots Tue 18-Feb-14 19:45:11

Erm...thought it obvious that we're all on the spectrum somewhere ranging from very shy ('prudish' you called it) to completely sexually extroverted. I don't think there's any 'generally' about it. What a strange thing to ask.
So what are you like OP?

KellyHopter Tue 18-Feb-14 19:49:25

Fine talking about sex with the person I'm having sex with or with friends.

Would never seek out anything written by a stranger talking about their sex life though. There's something about the urge to share online that I find repellant.

There's plenty of it on here, and anytime I come across it it just further consolidates my opinion that there is a type who tend to revel in sex talk with strangers online.

It's nothing to do with sex really, sex oversharers, lolling hunners, level this writing-ers etc etc...not people or conversation I can muster any interest in.

Meerkat10 Tue 18-Feb-14 19:56:16

See your point TinselTownley but it's a big umbrella! I'm pro positive, entertaining ones. Not so much 'look at my webcam' ones.

Meerkat10 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:04:15

Thank you Kelly, that's what I was angling for, where people think the line should be drawn, maybe I could have worded the question better!

babiesmakemecrazy Tue 18-Feb-14 20:20:04

I think its fine to talk abot sex with friends and people you know. I wouldn't talk to strangers about it unless we were at a party, or something similar where it wouldn't be awkward (not for me, for them). Personally I'd read a blog on it and books etc. I'm intrigued about your blog, whats the name? Where can I find it?

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 18-Feb-14 20:24:16

1. It depends on whose doing the talking. Sometimes I find sex talk intriguing, sometimes distasteful and sometimes boring.
2. I am very comfortable with my sexuality.
3. I have never found anything written about sex so interesting that I forgot about food.grin

OP I think that shame and sex are still intrinsically woven for some people. I think that this is a damaging mindset and a dangerous one for parents to have in the age of the Internet.

catwithflowers Tue 18-Feb-14 20:34:44

I couldn't give two hoots about anyone else's sex life. I am happy with mine and my partner is happy. That's all that matters as far as I'm concerned. We discuss sex openly but don't feel the need to share our sex life with anyone else. I think we represent most people. I am always amazed at people who feel they need to blog/write about their intimate relationships confused

Lweji Tue 18-Feb-14 20:45:59

You can trawl through thousands of threads on MN and get a good picture.

ArgyMargy Tue 18-Feb-14 20:55:51

Exactly what catwithflowers said.

Offred Tue 18-Feb-14 21:19:36

If you write a public blog you will get crazy comments. Try to laugh about them.

I think talking about sex publicly is quite important because I think the shame needs getting rid of and also I think society needs to recognise women (including mums) have a sexuality and are not 'frigid'. I hope you are not using this for your blog though.

I don't read blogs at all really.

(my blog is pub convo naughty in places. Open, and frank, but by no means a sordid smut fest, I'm a good girl). <- Don't know where to start with this! What is 'pub convo' and why does that make talking about sex more socially acceptable? Why use childish terms like 'naughty'? What does that even mean? Sex is naughty? Why do you need to clarify you are a 'good girl'? Do you have to dislike sex to be a 'good girl'?

FluffySocksAndMarshmallows Tue 18-Feb-14 21:24:03

Why have you bolded those weird sentences?

It makes this read like a PR request, or a journalist. It's very unauthentic.

singaporefling Tue 18-Feb-14 21:27:13

What IS the name of your blog Meerkat?

ashtrayheart Tue 18-Feb-14 21:29:42

Journalist.

SailingToByzantium Tue 18-Feb-14 22:01:38

>Are we still too British for sex?

The British population is still growing so we can't be doing too badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now