Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Not usually a diva... but, 'surprise' flowers dramas

(41 Posts)
WhateverTrevor83 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:42:08

So I was meant to be leaving work at 4pm today (instead of 6). It takes 1.5 hours to get home (don’t ask) and we’ve got a table booked later on. Plan was for a soak, a change and then to go out with no rushing.
I’ve just text at 3.59 to say I’m logging off and he said that he’s ordered flowers and can I wait for them. He said it’ll be by 6.30pm at latest so we have to meet in town and I can’t change etc. I look a total scruff!

I sound so ungrateful… but it’s really annoyed me. Now I’ll be rushing and won’t be able to get ready. We’ve both been so nackered and grumpy for the last couple of weeks was really looking forward to being able to relax and take my time.

I know it’s nothing in comparison to other people’s problems… but it’s just put me in a bad mood. They’ll also get squashed on the rammed Tube later as well if I have to meet much longer.

Also, I’m in a new job where I don’t know any one. It’s a bit of bitchy place and I’m worried I’ll look like a total fool when they arrive. Especially when I immediately leg it out of the door with the flowers.

Happy Valentines Day everyone!

PS Please don’t all tell me off – I know it’s a kind gesture just an unnecessary one.

WhateverTrevor83 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:43:12

Whoops I mean wait much longer.

Trills Fri 14-Feb-14 16:44:37

Ugh

It's annoying when people do something "nice" for you that actually makes your life harder.

tribpot Fri 14-Feb-14 16:45:06

Would be very tempted to say you didn't get the text til you were on the way home! That would seriously nark me off.

fiftyandfab Fri 14-Feb-14 16:45:23

I'd be pissed off at this too! Sounds like it was an afterthought (albeit not very well thought out!). Can you call him and get him to try and intercept the florist to deliver to your home address instead maybe?

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Fri 14-Feb-14 16:45:37

Well no, it's not really a kind gesture if it means you have to hang around at work for possibly an extra 2 and a half hours, is it? !

It's actually thoughtless. A mindless calendar induced gesture without any personal thought.

I'd go home and let someone else sign for them.

Did he think you would meet him in town carrying the flowers and then lug them round with you all evening?

What's thoughtful about that? You'd look like a prat.

If you at no point told him that you are leaving early, I take it all back apart from the looking daft lugging flowers around bit grin

tribpot Fri 14-Feb-14 16:46:14

Plus, to be delivered so late on V day, has he only just ordered them?

fiftyandfab Fri 14-Feb-14 16:48:04

actually re-reading this, they'll be on the van already and they probably won't detour that mush if you live 1.5 hours away. I'm with trib, just leave and pick them up when you're next in work!

fiftyandfab Fri 14-Feb-14 16:49:20

much, not mush (ha, though that was a tad Freudian!)

Botanicbaby Fri 14-Feb-14 16:49:46

sometimes its the delivery company being late rather than the fault of the person who booked them.

whilst its a pain not to be able to get ready and now you have to stay later at work, just try to think how you'd feel if the person sending you flowers wasn't in your life. or if you didn't have a job. there's a lot worse things that can happen, as you say wink

KatoPotato Fri 14-Feb-14 16:51:12

Urgh my Sis does this. She lives abroad but every birthday etc we just get a text the day before saying 'flowers coming between 0900 and 1300' happy birthday. Cheers love, I was hoping to actually go out on my birthday? applies to me, my dmum and dnana.

I could never moan about this to anyone I actually KNOW!

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 14-Feb-14 16:51:28

I'd leave now and tell him you didn't get the text until it was too late.

WhateverTrevor83 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:51:40

Ha... yeah he knew I was leaving early. Asked to work from home (no), half day holiday (no) and then could I leave a couple of hours early if I came in early... hey presto - a yes! So I got up early, slung my hair in a bobble and set off. My face literally looks like a shoe and I'm dressed like... well, like I'm off to Asda rather than a posh restaurant.

We've not really been getting on very well at the moment (both v stressed with work and I think it was a last minute cheering me up thing (as this time yesterday I thought I was working from home). I think he's seen they'll arrive between 9am and 6.30pm and hoped for the best.

He sent me flowers years ago but it was a) when I had a car b) when I thought that huge bunches of flowers were the best thing ever... haha. I do sound like a spoilt B now!

It serves me right for laughing at the smug girl I saw on the Tube this morning with a huge bouquet. They are going to get so squashed... I'll have to hold them up over my head! Luckily I'm tall.

FFS... I'd rather have had a chocolate orange. Haha x

Pootles2010 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:52:49

New job in a bitchy place? Leaving at four probably isn't ideal anyway...

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:53:06

he hasnt necessarily just ordered them..mine just arrived and DH ordered them days ago.

WhateverTrevor83 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:53:16

All I need is a wig... and a swig (of wine)... x

Jess03 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:55:11

Can you ask a coworker to sign for them and pop out and buy some makeup and a new top or something and change in the loos? Not ideal but...

WhateverTrevor83 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:55:32

pootles yeah it's hard to explain.. we all work flexibly usually and it's quite laid back RE exact hours (plus I always work late, etc - this is a v rare occasion for me). Both my colleagues are off doing romantic things (in the rain, ha) so it's me (from my team on my own).

But yeah, good news is I'm getting lots done (erm, moaning on MN) haha x

WhateverTrevor83 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:57:16

Not a bad idea Jess only prob is we're a bit out of the way. There's a big asda. I could buy a George special and some dry shampoo I suppose.

Aw.. just got a text 'Really sorry about this, ordered them this morning when you were all sleepy and grumpy and thought you'd be really pleased. Leave them til Monday if you like xx'

tribpot Fri 14-Feb-14 16:58:51

But now you've been sat about for an hour. Do you still have time to go home and get changed in peace, or will it be a race?

fiftyandfab Fri 14-Feb-14 17:08:20

is there a salon you could get to for a quick wash and blow dry?

fiftyandfab Fri 14-Feb-14 17:11:17

I once managed to blow dry my hair with the hand drier in the ladies loo after getting caught in a downpour! smile

maggiemight Fri 14-Feb-14 18:24:58

I'm not that thrilled with flowers nowadays.

Get out phone, call flower delivery, get out credit card, pay, repeat loving message, give address, hang up.

Very romantic

(oh, forgot, expect DW to be extremely grateful and appreciative for this feeble gesture)

TheJumped Fri 14-Feb-14 18:38:25

Aw that text is lovely though.

My DH would do this and then manage to make it my fault and be angry at me for leaving.

Yes head to Asda and get a nice dress and some opaques and even some boots / shoes, their stuff is nice and you'll feel good. Some makeup and dry shampoo or hand dryer in the loos to attempt a blow dry smile

My DH's only communication today has been to say he's not sure how late he'll be working... so not holding out for any Valentines surprises.

colafrosties Fri 14-Feb-14 19:14:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now