Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

"I'm fattist"

(32 Posts)
fackit Wed 12-Feb-14 22:19:04

That's what he said in our first phone call post some really great emails (OD) and pre a first date. I am so disappointed, it was going well up til then. It's kinda killed it for me. Where there's this kind of prejudice there's going to be more isn't there? I bet he's a DF reader too.

Oh well.

FetchezLaVache Wed 12-Feb-14 22:20:47

Wow! Oh well, at least you've saved the time you might otherwise have wasted on this idiot.

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Wed 12-Feb-14 22:20:59

At least you found out he's a tosswad before going to all the effort of meeting him.

What did you say in reply?

Only1scoop Wed 12-Feb-14 22:24:00

Op .... I remember my online dating spell. I'd always do a 'call screen' before I actually met them. So many would come out with something vile to just put me off....or be really uninteresting.

NEXTgrin

PublicEnemyNumeroUno Wed 12-Feb-14 22:24:08

He isn't by any chance called Adam is he? I went on a date a few years ago with a guy who said the exact same thing on our first (and only) date.

MsVestibule Wed 12-Feb-14 22:27:50

I'm interested in the context, as it's an odd thing to say on a first phone call. Were you both discussing your appearances? I can understand somebody not being physically attracted to somebody with a certain body type, but to be so dismissive of all overweight people is quite bizarre.

fackit Wed 12-Feb-14 22:28:02

No he isn't an Adam. I said "why are you like that"?

It's awful. My DS is a lovely, lovely fella and he's overweight and all I could think of was how offensive that remark is.

fackit Wed 12-Feb-14 22:29:34

Ms well he was discussing his appearance actually and he mentioned he is paranoid about getting fat himself. He also asked me what size I am hmm as he'd guessed it from my pic.

Only1scoop Wed 12-Feb-14 22:34:37

Op ....my friend actually spoke to one guy on line.... and spoke on phone....a teacher sounded nice.
When she met up with him <she is a mum ....stunning ....slim > He seemed charming. After a couple of drinks he said ...."can I just ask....have you got any stretch marks? It's just the one thing I can't bare to look at" hmm vile twunt

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Wed 12-Feb-14 22:46:02

Wow... these charmers really are single for a reason aren't they?

fackit Wed 12-Feb-14 22:48:05

I was just thinking that and remembering something else he said about a previous date's appearance. Yes, that's why he's single - great on paper but a right tit in person.

NEXT!

DarlingGrace Thu 13-Feb-14 05:24:42

Prejudice or preference? My mate will not go out with men who have shaved heads/are bald. Thats her first rejection when she looks at on line dating pics. Second is obvious tattoos.

It doesn't make her prejudiced. She doesn't find those sorts attractive. Whether you like it or not, physical attraction is important.

bragmatic Thu 13-Feb-14 05:27:48

Did you say: "I'm cuntist"?

fackit Thu 13-Feb-14 07:46:26

Darling I think his beliefs about overweight people DO make him prejudiced since they weren't about their appearance, more about the kind of people they are.

brag grin.

ilikeyourface Thu 13-Feb-14 07:56:26

Ha I really hope he either has weird sencd of humour and this is his idea of a joke. If not then I think you got A lucky escape!

mammadiggingdeep Thu 13-Feb-14 08:15:19

Brag...that's brilliant.

chateauferret Thu 13-Feb-14 08:56:56

Send him a wee limerick:

You won't like me if I am fat?
A pity that you feel like that.
But it saddens me more
To discover that you're
Such a horrible prejudiced twat.

Dinnaeknowshitfromclay Thu 13-Feb-14 09:00:12

Ha Brag cuntist! brilliant!

LegoCaltrops Thu 13-Feb-14 09:05:22

Chateau & Brag - love it! grin

Sounds like you've had a narrow escape OP.

BroomstickRider Thu 13-Feb-14 09:20:30

Yes, you've had a lucky escape! I get how people have types they go for and I do find tall skinny men attractive. However DH is a few inches taller than me (average height really) and a bit plump and I'd far rather be married to him than some skinny tall fattist idiot because there are more important things than appearance!

SoleSource Thu 13-Feb-14 13:58:42

grin brag and chateiau grin

Yes, I may be fat

But it is also true
You are a twat
Now feel the unjustice
Cos I'm a Cuntist

Bye

FrankieStien Thu 13-Feb-14 14:11:17

Such a weird thing for him to say!

I think you had a lucky escape.

Dahlen Thu 13-Feb-14 16:43:31

I suppose you should look on the bright side that he's at least outed himself as a bigot right now.

I am something of a health freak and very into exercise and the importance of a healthy diet. I would assume that anyone significantly overweight would not, or could not (e.g. weight gain caused by an underlying health problem) share the same philosophy and certainly wouldn't be into the same level of exercise and outdoor activities as I am. As such I couldn't see that I'd have enough in common with them to sustain a relationship, so if I'm going to be brutally honest, I probably wouldn't choose someone significantly overweight if I was looking at OD profiles. That in no way means I think they are worth less than someone at a healthy weight, however. I am simply exercising a personal preference in partners in the same way I would have a preference against choosing a smoker for the same reasons.

Could your date have been trying to say similar and clumsily trying to give you a compliment? I'm clutching at straws really though, because in a million years I can't ever imagine myself being so crass as to come out with something like that.

brokenhearted55a Thu 13-Feb-14 18:09:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Thu 13-Feb-14 18:11:28

And the missing the point award goes to... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now