Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you have a best friend?

(63 Posts)
principalitygirl Wed 05-Feb-14 20:14:12

I don't. I wouldn't describe any of my friends as a 'best' friend and I don't think any of them would describe me as theirs either.

I have lots of friends - a few I've known since childhood, the rest I've made through studying, living or working together and, more recently, since having my child. These friends are spread all over the world too. The ones I see most are the 'mum' ones. My friends are almost exclusively female. A few are male but these were originally DH's friends who are now our joint friends as a couple.

Typical?

MadeMan Wed 05-Feb-14 20:17:53

Not sure about typical, but probably quite common once you reach a certain age; particularly if you have moved away from where you grew up.

Some women might count their best friend as their mum or sister/s, rather than someone they went to school with.

MadeMan Wed 05-Feb-14 20:22:05

Just to add, women (and men) might call their partner their best friend too.

Jaisalmer Wed 05-Feb-14 20:22:59

I went to school with my best friend - we met when we were 12 years old and we are both rapidly approaching 50.

I do have lots of other friends but my best friend will always be my best friend as we share so much history and know each other inside out.

It is a wonderful relationship that I value very much smile.

CharlesRyder Wed 05-Feb-14 20:27:54

I did but she turned out to be a Wendy.

I have someone I've been friends with since I was 11 and count my DH as my closest friend.

I no longer have that 'fireside cavewomen' friendship with anyone though and I miss it.

VelmaD Wed 05-Feb-14 20:30:57

I have several close friends, ones I can ring at the drop of a hat etc. And several good friends. But no "best friend" - and can't stand thirty something women calling each other bestie and bestest either (like when referencing on fb) but I may be alone in that!

alwaysneedaholiday Wed 05-Feb-14 20:32:52

I have known my best friend since we were 1. We see each other twice a week usually.

Other than that i have lots of good friends , all female. I did have male friends at work but generally don't find it that easy to get on with them!

Joysmum Wed 05-Feb-14 20:34:02

Me and my DH were best friends for 6 years before he made a move on me and we ended up together as a couple as a result.

Other than that, I have my mum and family and a small number of friends who are very good friends but not best friends.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 05-Feb-14 20:34:44

I have three female friends I would class as my best friends and two male friends who I would class as my best friends.

I don't have one specific best friend. I have those four who I refer to as my best friends, then all my other friends I just refer to as friends.

I've said friend quite a lot there.

Fletcherl Wed 05-Feb-14 20:35:50

Yes and I love her. I could go on and on about why.
Just to say I have raised a bucket of teens with the aid of her compassion, wisdom and the contents of her fridge on occasions

kansasmum Wed 05-Feb-14 20:37:39

I have a best friend. We've been friends since we were about 3. She lives on the other side of the world in Australia and I've only seen her twice in 10 years but we Skype and email a lot! I saw her 3 years ago and we picked up like we'd seen each other last week! Her dd is my God daughter who came to stay for a few weeks in 2012-- she's fab! Distance has made our friendship different but we still consider each other best friends.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 05-Feb-14 20:42:17

I have a best friend, who has been so since we were 15. By coincidence, we now live 10 miles apart, on the other side of the country from where we went to school, and have DC the same age. We see each other weekly, or more often when possible.

I neither have, nor want many other friends and am a complete introvert! Best friend, on the other hand, has zillions of friends.

louby44 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:44:10

I have a best friend who I've known since I was 13. We were bridesmaids at each other's weddings and supported each other through our divorces. She knows me very well and although she often says what she thinks and can be quite blunt I know she means well and has always been there for me.

My mum and 2 cousins are also like friends and I have a close group of work colleagues whom I class as close, dear friends.

My ex-h is also a friend. He would be there for me if I needed him in a crisis. He's been great during my recent split with my exP, very supportive.

I have some fabulous people in my life, truly blessed!

Longdistance Wed 05-Feb-14 20:44:30

Yes.

I have a bf that I have had for over 30 years now. We went to school and church together. She is the godmother to both my dd's, and is like a sister to me. I can confide in her about anything.

My heart broke when we moved to Oz, but she's so wonderful, she came for a holiday with her long term dp, and we had the most amazing time. We're back in the Uk now, so I'm happy as a pig in shit, as she has dd's now and then for days out, baby sits. I'm so lucky to have her in my life smile

ReindeerBollocks Wed 05-Feb-14 20:45:20

I have a best friend and we've been through a lot together. We accept each other for exact what we are - even if there's aspects of each other we're not overly found of ( taking certain actions in our lives etc). We tell each other our opinions on such matters but then offer unwavering support regardless. I adore her and would be devastated to lose her.

I also have a very close relationship with my mum and would probably class her and my DH as my best friends too.

I think I'm lucky in some respects to have such good close friendships.

ReindeerBollocks Wed 05-Feb-14 20:46:50

*Exactly
*fond

I can communicate properly most of the time!

Sexnight Wed 05-Feb-14 20:49:53

Yes, but she lives a long way away from me. We are very different but linked by a wonderful 25 year history. I'm not sure we would be such good friends if we did live closer.....so I am glad we don't...if that makes sense!

Other than that, lots and lots of friends, but really my dh (who would hate to hear me say that!!) who is the best friend a gal could ask for.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Wed 05-Feb-14 20:52:00

My DH is my best friend day to day but I do have 2 friends from when I was 12 and 14 who are amazing, just not always around as they have very busy lives and we live 100's of miles apart.

I made friends in the aqua natal group when I had dc1 but then we moved and that was that. I wasn't allowed baby classes with dc2 and 3 and haven't made any baby friends from toddler groups.

I have 2 school mum friends, one I see most months but other than them no local friends sad.

fifi669 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:54:07

My best friend I met at brownies. Despite going to different primary schools we'd always meet up again at netball tournaments and chat away. Different secondary schools too. We actually met again when her dad ran over my friend! Solid for the last 16 years I'd say. Never fallen out. Can talk about anything, nothing is too personal or embarrassing. Love her to bits smile

fiftyandfab Wed 05-Feb-14 21:10:34

I thought I did. But I don't! It's fine!

WeAreEternal Wed 05-Feb-14 21:17:34

I have a best friend.
We've been friends for 15 years (mid 30's now)
She lives at the other end of the country but we are still as close as we ever where.
We will never not be friends, we are like family, plus we both know too many of the others secrets.

If I believed in soul mates she would probably be mine.

fromparistoberlin Wed 05-Feb-14 21:22:34

no! lots of good friends but sometimes feel like I am everyones "second best friend" and noones best friend

I am 40, not 12!

cafesociety Wed 05-Feb-14 21:22:46

I thought I did too. But I don't. Still angry, sad, confused and fed up about it, but I will get over it....won't go back there that's for sure.

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Feb-14 21:24:24

No, and tbh I don't think I've ever been someones best friend

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Wed 05-Feb-14 21:27:38

I do. We went to school together and have been best friends for over 30 years. I love her to bits and can tell her anything.

I do have other really good friends though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now