Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How should I progress with this?

(6 Posts)
secretsquirrel1 Fri 31-Jan-14 00:06:34

After a particularly horrible divorce nearly 5 years ago, my DD & I relocated to the other side of the country last year (and I wanted to be a little nearer to my widowed mother). I have made quite a few good friendships, and I already knew people here so visited plenty of times before making the move.

Up until now, I have been happy to be on my own but now I'd like to start dating again. However, before I had a chance to start, I have just been contacted by my first love (via FR....don't laugh!) who I haven't seen for more than 30 years (he was the one to break it off).

His profile says he is single & he works in the same city as I do; he doesn't know I am here because I haven't used FR for years so I haven't updated my location.

I want to be honest when I reply - I'm wanting to say how fab our life is here in ... but I'm really unsure how to go about it. I don't want to be evasive/mysterious - I hate all that game playing/rules stuff - but equally, I don't want him to be freaked out either.

I am struggling with my possible underlying motives for even responding....would I be wanting to meet up in the future, just so I can find out what went wrong in the past?

Gaaahhh, help please! grin

bragmatic Fri 31-Jan-14 00:11:19

"Hi! lovely to hear from you. How are you? I see you work in XXXXX. So do I!"

DottyboutDots Fri 31-Jan-14 06:43:34

Calm down. A light hearted response is all that is required, if you want to see him at all. If you don't, ignore it.

You also don't know if his FR is updated properly either.

"Hi! Lovely to hear from you, what a surprise! How are you? What are you up to?"

secretsquirrel1 Fri 31-Jan-14 23:21:54

Thanks.....I agree Dotty, I know I need to calm down.
I'm not going to reply until I do.

secretsquirrel1 Wed 05-Feb-14 10:44:23

Update:

I've replied, kept it very brief and light-hearted.

He's currently working in the opposite end of the country but he talks of here being 'home' - he couldn't believe that I'd moved here!

Let's see how it goes.... smile

DottyboutDots Wed 05-Feb-14 11:48:22

Hurrah! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now