Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

if I leave my H can anyone tell me what benefits I might be able to get, pls?

(12 Posts)
pindorasbox Fri 13-Sep-13 21:30:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Viking1 Fri 13-Sep-13 21:38:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nottalotta Fri 13-Sep-13 21:41:19

Turn2us is what we use at work - benefits website. Re. The house - you need to speak to housing benefit about whether you could claim. Is there any equity?

WhiteandGreen Fri 13-Sep-13 21:44:21

When I first left I got

Child tax credits
Working Tax Credits
Child benefit
Free School meals

Offred Fri 13-Sep-13 21:48:08

This is very comprehensive.

Offred Fri 13-Sep-13 21:51:19

And please don't ever feel worried about being flamed or stigmatised about benefits. People who make a fuss about entitlement and scrounging need to get a grip and STFU. Anyone should be absolutely entitled to all the help they need to live happily and comfortably I think.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Fri 13-Sep-13 22:00:38

I can only give you advice on the ESA/ Income Support issues (no direct experience of housing benefit, but i haven't heard of anyone being forced to move back with a partner.) Remaining in the house may negatively affect your entitlement to an ESA income-related award (means tested) as you may be classed as part of a couple in financial terms (despite no longer being in a relationship).
The house is unlikely to be treated as available capital, particularly if subject to divorce proceedings etc. it usually gets disregarded for at least six months (and then your situation is reviewed -eg has the house been sold, have you got divorced etc) Usually disregarded whilst on the market also, but once the house is sold you will have to declare the sale and any money you make.
You can only claim either ESA or Income Support. Not both. The ESA you currently get may be based upon NI contributions. If this is the case you simply need to request an ESA3 form to declare your change in circumstance and apply for the means-tested award. Child maintenance is not taken into account but must be declared. You would not get any more/less money by claiming IS. The same financial rules apply. There is no 'premium/top-up' awarded for being a single parent. I would stick with ESA if I were you.

pindorasbox Fri 13-Sep-13 22:02:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Fri 13-Sep-13 22:03:21

Sorry I meant, if you moved out, the house is unlikely to be treated as capital (as I assume your h still lives there and the sale would be subject to divorce proceedings?)

Offred Fri 13-Sep-13 22:12:10

You need to go to a CAB I think.

Also see if your LA has a welfare rights or housing service.

Offred Fri 13-Sep-13 22:12:20

pindorasbox Fri 13-Sep-13 22:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now