Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

do pelvic floor exercises REALLY tighten up a slack fanjo?

(71 Posts)
pleaseleave Thu 15-Aug-13 22:54:59

3 kids and a slack fanjo. youngest over ten .
can exercises really tighten the old fanjo to any extent?
can surgery help?

Walkacrossthesand Thu 15-Aug-13 23:12:13

I think exercises make a big difference! I think they are called Kegel exercises and can be augmented with some special cones - see GP for further details, especially if you suffer urine leakage too.

Mixxy Thu 15-Aug-13 23:18:11

Ha! I see you are making moves to get back in the dating pool pleaseleave. Good for you! A friend had surgery after her 3 kids (actually she did a tummy tuck, boob job and fanjo thingy -called the Mommy package, gag). She has never been happier or looked better. And her DH smiles a lot too! Its not for everyone, but she has never regretted it and still looks fab 4 years later.

pleaseleave Thu 15-Aug-13 23:32:43

ha ha well spotted Mixxy

pleaseleave Thu 15-Aug-13 23:40:05

thing is, we take it as a given we should do PFEs, but I have yet to meet a woman who reports " I had a slack fanjo. I did PFEs and now it is tight "

TimidLivid Thu 15-Aug-13 23:55:51

we need a thread anyone with a tight fango who came back from having a slack one? share your experiences here smile

Dearjackie Fri 16-Aug-13 07:37:19

timid grin grin grin

Walkacrossthesand Fri 16-Aug-13 07:44:57

Forgive me for enquiring, but what makes you think you have a slack fanjo? I've had 3 DCs too, and (although the parts in question are currently dormant) no fanjo issues reported. It's not a given...

DfanjoUnchained Fri 16-Aug-13 08:16:06

Mine was looser after birth. Could hardly feel H. I religiously did my exercises every hour for 2 weeks (set an alarm on my phone helped me remember).

Dtd in the dark after the 2 weeks - felt amazing! Tmi but I could feel myself gripping H. Next morning he asked me of we had had bum sex the night before as it was so tight!

So, yes they do work. If very loose buy the cones.

Weelady77 Fri 16-Aug-13 09:12:30

I've done them for 18 years at least twice a day and I've been fine but apparently it's bad for you someone said on here!!

WallaceWindsock Fri 16-Aug-13 09:16:04

Yep they do work but you need to do them religiously. I try and do mine whenever I'm sat down so that I've now associated sitting with clenching and it ensures I don't forget to do them! You can never do too many so just pack them in whenever you remember.

WallaceWindsock Fri 16-Aug-13 09:49:09

Weelady I saw that thread, it wasn't the exercises that the poster said were bad but doing them when peeing. This is now advised against as doing them mid flow flushes urine back up towards the bladder and can cause infections

pleaseleave Fri 16-Aug-13 09:51:12

walkacrossthesand, it most definitely is slack!
tampons fall out, for example

pleaseleave Fri 16-Aug-13 09:52:22

dfanjounchained, just the sort of story I was looking for. thank you

Quenelle Fri 16-Aug-13 09:59:02

<clenches>

Mixxy Fri 16-Aug-13 10:05:21

Get the surgery then pleaseleave! Just do it and get back on that saddle!

Quenelle Fri 16-Aug-13 10:09:55

Dfanjo what was your PFE routine? I start doing them and then forget.

I'm going try sticking a coloured dot on my computer monitor to remind me.

pleaseleave Fri 16-Aug-13 10:18:34

ha ha Mixxy, I love your directness!!
might need to start a fanjo surgery thread !

SirRaymondClench Fri 16-Aug-13 10:23:04

Can I ask about the cones? Surely if things are really slack the cones would just drop out - no?

DfanjoUnchained Fri 16-Aug-13 10:23:45

Quenelle I set an alarm on my phone to beep every hour and I do ten in a row. I notice a difference if I don't do them for a few days

DfanjoUnchained Fri 16-Aug-13 10:24:28

I've told H he had better start doing them too as it helps maintain a strong erection in men as they get older apparently. So not just for us lot!

SirRaymondClench Fri 16-Aug-13 10:40:19

We definitely need a permanent thread about pelvic floor exercise.
I just had a hysterectomy and while I was in hospital there were 5 other women on my ward come in for surgery due to prolapse. Women of all ages and not all of them had kids.
We need to tighten things up not just for sex but so it doesn't all fall out and cause problems later on.
I am supposed to start PFE at 4 weeks post op but am interested in all the gadgets out there to help but I know nothing really about them and don't know anyone who uses them.

CuttedUpPear Fri 16-Aug-13 10:43:06

There MUST be an app for this smile

mcmooncup Fri 16-Aug-13 10:45:01

Think yoga and Pilates are good too.
Unintentional clenching involved when you do them.

dizzy77 Fri 16-Aug-13 10:47:23

I've been doing a post natal pf class, think its quite a new thing run by the trainer who did my buggy aerobics group I went to w ds1. 4 weeks in and really noticed a difference (ds2 is 10wo). I am comfortably using tampons and have been v pleasantly surprised when Dtd. Both those things took months to sort out with just kegels after ds1, 2 years ago.

More moves than just kegels - Pilates-ish moving & breathing & engaging your whole core. V impressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now