Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Please help...anyone moved out and stayed together?

(11 Posts)
runforest Tue 28-May-13 11:53:37

As its something I feel I need to do.

But its not something my dp is too happy with.

We have had a rocky time of things and I feel it might help us, he see's it as a step backwards.

I moved in with him a couple of years ago, rented my place out.

My tennants are moving out next month and I am feeling room for us both to breathe might be good.

Anyone had experience of this?

positivementalcatitude Tue 28-May-13 12:43:07

Hello. I moved out when we realised that our relationship was going to crumble to dust if we carried on the way we were going. I was paranoid and clingy and needy, and it was more his decision than mine but i went along with it as I wanted us to fix our relationship. And it was so hard to go. I was away for just under a year, we still dated and saw each other at weekends but it was a chance to start fresh. I moved back in 18 months ago smile PM me if you need me.

runforest Tue 28-May-13 13:05:01

positive Thank you so much for your reply, I don't know how to pm ?!

I am being exactly the same, paranoid, and insecure and generally not feeling like myself. I know thats not the real me if that doesn't sound silly!

Its great you moved back and all is good, that really helps me to feel positive.

xx

positivementalcatitude Tue 28-May-13 14:26:20

Just talk to me on here then if you like. Yep, i was the same as you and it nearly ruined us. A break, or moving out, is not always for the worst x

calypso2008 Tue 28-May-13 14:30:36

Doesn't work in my opinion. You just grow apart and things are never the same.

I've done it twice, both times it was simply to lessen the pain of a complete breakup straight away (in hindsight)

It is indeed a step back and probably means you shouldn't be together sad Sorry. Relationships should not be hard work.

Dededum Tue 28-May-13 14:31:16

DH got a job in Paris, he needed to move out. We commuted at the weekends and after a year he got a job back in London and now 13 years later we are married with 2 boys.

sammisatt Tue 28-May-13 14:37:41

Yes! I moved out for 2 years and remained together. It was hard moving back in but we are still together with 2 kids 3 years after moving back in.

SteamPink Tue 28-May-13 15:37:01

Worked for us. DP went through a phase of depression, heavy drinking, and staying out all night being completely disrespectful after being made redundant. I responded by being very stressed and almost hysterically paranoid and confused. I asked him to move out after a particularly bad break, and almost a year later he's employed and solvent, I'm happy, and we still live separately. We plan to move in together again in a year or so.

tethersend Tue 28-May-13 15:41:46

Do you have kids?

runforest Tue 28-May-13 15:47:37

Thanks so much for your replies, I was feeling so confused, my head saying one thing, and my heart the other.

tethersend no we don't have any kids, which I guess makes things easier to try this?

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 28-May-13 16:06:13

It worked for us. I moved out for a year and then we got a new place together for a new start. That was quite a few years ago and we went on to have a family and live happily ever after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now