Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why does saying 'I love you' not feel right?!

(7 Posts)
MagicBaguette Mon 27-May-13 22:37:16

I've been with DP for nearly a year and a half. He was my best friend before we got together and I am so so lucky I found him.

About 6 months into our relationship he told me he loved me. Well actually, I had to guess for myself and then ask him hmm he then got angry that I hadn't guessed!

Neither of us are the lovey dovey type at all - we both value our independence but love each others company and are extremely attracted to one another.

He has said I love you periodically throughout our time together, but only every few months or so.

I have no doubt that he loves me and cares for me deeply. But he has told me saying 'I love you' makes him cringe.

It means that I now cringe slightly when he does say it and find it difficult to say it back!

I have no doubt about either his or my feelings for each other and I understand this is a bit of a non issue and it doesn't particularly bother me.

Does anyone else hate saying I love you?!

SeaweedAndSandDunes Mon 27-May-13 22:52:19

Yep hate it, feels showy and put on, its stating the obvious so feels forced.

My family is the same, I think it's just what you're used to seems more natural.

HeavenlyYoni Mon 27-May-13 23:01:30

My dp does. Well, maybe that's because his feelings towards me have changed. Was reading some old emails from him earlier, and they were all 'I love you' and nowadays he'll say it once in a blue moon sad

GingerJulep Mon 27-May-13 23:11:29

Why does it feel wrong to say "I love you"?

Can you talk about other positive feelings? E.g. "I really like it when we [do what ever it is you enjoy together]", "You look hot in that outfit", etc.

Do you not feel romantic love for each other? [NB quite possible to be really good friends who 'love' each other and that really fancy each other and don't feel romantic love].

Have you either ever felt comfortable saying to others?

MagicBaguette Mon 27-May-13 23:17:52

Oh yes, very happy to say any other positive feelings and he does so regularly.

I definitely feel romantic love for him (i still get butterflies when I see him blush ) and from what he says I know he feels the same.

Which is why it confuses me that he does like saying those 3 words!

He says it seems like a bit of a cliche, which I can understand!

Ah well. Each to their own!

Lifeisforlivingkatie Mon 27-May-13 23:34:45

I am starting to think other people would rather show love..please read my post is this love? And let me have your thoughts

Lifeisforlivingkatie Mon 27-May-13 23:36:16

MagicBaguete, I can relate to your feelings. Just posted something similar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now