Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Hand holding required - tough day ahead

(12 Posts)
DotCottonsHairnet Fri 24-May-13 08:22:56

Morning

Another nail in the end of a marriage coffin today. Stbxh moves into his house today from the furnished place he rented initially to an unfurnished place on a long lease. Today his half of the furniture and stuff moves out - leaving dusty marks and empty gaps in the house sad I am moving but not till the end of the summer so I will have a few months like this and its going to be horrid.

Really don't want to be here whilst its all going but I need to so that only the right things go.

I was doing ok but this has knocked me back down again.

Lemonies Fri 24-May-13 08:50:18

Here is a hand, chin up lovely, X

ExcuseTypos Fri 24-May-13 08:51:18

Xx

mummywantsaliedown Fri 24-May-13 08:56:24

Get busy with the Hoover, rearrange the furniture to your liking and treat yourself to something that's totally you - could be new rug or cushions or just a big bunch of flowers.
Best of luck, and remember that once its over you'll never have to live this day again. x x

calypso2008 Fri 24-May-13 09:01:54

Dot Poor you - indeed an unsettling day ahead. However, when my STBXH moved out I felt such relief, I now can't wait for all his furniture to go - I have no idea when that will be, but when it does that will also be a massive relief.

I don't like living with all his things and the memories, I wish them gone!

(Apart from the fact that it is all his furniture so I won't have even a sofa to sit on grin)

Good Luck today. You are moving forward. flowers

DotCottonsHairnet Fri 24-May-13 09:19:49

I will have two empty rooms as of later this morning - I plan once they are clean to close the doors on them and just use them for storage of stuff thats been packed up in anticipation of my move.

I will be sad to see some things go - things we chose together - even wedding presents. However these things are more his taste so he is welcome to have them even.

Head is all muddled up again. I think once me & my boys move it will be easier - this house is just to full of memories - lots good but recent ones aren't.

HeathRobinson Fri 24-May-13 09:23:39

Why not think of it as another step forward, instead?

Have a clean and rearrange after the furniture's gone. Maybe buy something only you would like or move the furniture around to give yourself an exercise room/meditation space/music room?

boatclub Fri 24-May-13 10:37:39

Sorry you're going through this but don't just exist and make do until you move - you'll feel even more down. enlist some help, get the wine or brew in and move things around a bit to fill the gaps.

DotCottonsHairnet Fri 24-May-13 16:21:37

Thanks for the advice. It was as awful as expected - hated seeing my things in the wrong place. i have no choice but to close off the two rooms - there just isnt enough stuff left to fill them (this is a big house).

Sadly there are more things to go at a later date as there wasnt time today to take everything and for him to get new house sorted enough to sleep/eat tonight - think he thought I might offer to cook - not a chance.

I will treat myself to some flowers tomorrow when I go shopping - I was doing this loads in the early days but the habit has stopped recently.

calypso2008 Fri 24-May-13 16:38:03

Hello again dot

Well done for getting through today. That is a real shame that it couldn't all be done in one day. So it is now still hanging over you. Yuk.

But, you have acheived so much and, now watch something good on TV or read a book/have a bath and a glass of wine.

Thinking of you.

DotCottonsHairnet Fri 24-May-13 16:42:02

Calypso - off to cinema this evening with my boys - need a break from our normal friday night tv fest - front room empty so no sofas or tv in there anymore! Just a little tv an small sofa we cant all fit on!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 24-May-13 16:51:07

It must feel dislocating, end of an era no matter how amicable; be kind to yourself this weekend.

Long term use the space while you have it until you move.

Keep fit or dance.

Spread newspaper on the floor then an old white sheet. Get painting - barefoot if you fancy.

How old are DSs?

Look for a ping pong table. Or if they're old enough, put up a darts board. Use the space for letting off steam with your boys. A punchbag?!

In a month's time throw a party. Or wait for school end of term. It needn't be a bacchanalian orgy, just get friends over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now