Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Age gaps

(20 Posts)
Odessa88 Thu 23-May-13 13:57:56

Hi,
Just started seeing the most amazing guy....
I'm turning 30 this year and he has just turned 25.
He is really mature but I'm worried I'm a bit too old for him???
Please could I have your opinions?
Thanks xx

WarmFuzzyFun Thu 23-May-13 14:01:27

5 years is nothing. You don't need MN's hive mind for this decision sweetheart. Questions: Do you like him? Does he like you? If you answered 'yes' to both, get on and enjoy yourself.

No need to worry about the end/where things are going etc so soon in.

Have fun, wish I had me a 25 year old smile

Good luck Odessa88

squeakytoy Thu 23-May-13 14:01:31

That is barely an age gap.... I cant see how anyone would bother having an opinion on it to be honest. Just go for it.

3Caramel Thu 23-May-13 14:01:54

That's not a huge gap! But if you see a future with him, you should make it clear to him if/when you would like to get married, start a family etc. Maybe a bit heavy for the start of the relationship, but most girls tend to find 30 as a landmark for thinking about all of these things, whereas boy often don't consider it at all!
Enjoy & good luck.

Odessa88 Thu 23-May-13 14:04:50

Its early days but he says he wants kids ;) I have a 4 yo and hes great with him.
Thanks guys....don't know what his mum thinks lol

squeakytoy Thu 23-May-13 22:06:52

I doubt his mum would bat an eyelid!

My stepson is 28 and has often dated women older than him.. so if he was seeing someone five years older I wouldnt think anything odd about it at all.

JennyEnglishTwo Thu 23-May-13 22:21:17

five years isn't significant. it's whether he's on the same page as you or not. I'd be honest about what you want and when you would like it. At your age there's NO point saying that you just want to have funnnnnnnnn for the next ten years if really you'd like to get marrid and have a family.

patienceisvirtuous Fri 24-May-13 00:04:45

I'm 35, DP is 26 grin It works.

Depends on whether you want the same things, how mature you both are, how much you like each other etc.

I nearly wrote DP off purely because of his age. I am so glad I gave him a chance!

Bogeyface Fri 24-May-13 00:10:29

5 years?! I was expecting something in Cougar territory where you are 50 and he is 19 grin

If you are compatible, can argue without sulking or killing each other and share life goals then go for it!

absolutmum Fri 24-May-13 11:25:49

My DH is 10 years younger than me. We've been together 16 years, married 14 this summer.
Don't let the age gap worry you!

Mollydoggerson Fri 24-May-13 11:28:27

Not too old in my book, it's only 5 years.

Mumsyblouse Fri 24-May-13 11:29:20

Some men enjoy family life and would be happy to be part of that much earlier than others, my husband was more than ready to settle down at 30 and would have done so at about 25 if he hadn't been holding out for me

I think this is not related to age, plenty of older guys in their 30's/40's are still pretty commitment phobic, just see where it goes, he sounds nice.

ecclesvet Fri 24-May-13 13:14:47

So you're 29 and he's 25? That's barely an age gap at all, honestly I'd consider you the same age.

blueshoes Fri 24-May-13 13:46:22

I am 5 years older than dh. Met him when I was 32, married him at 33, had first child 34. He was 29 when he became a father and the youngest amongst his peers to have children. When we met, he was just starting out in his career and I was much further along. But now he outearns me. Our age difference was never an issue. Helps that I look younger than my age. Music and cultural references are the same.

It is great to be 5 years older than dh. Statistically (and touch wood), we will both die at around the same time.

PosyNarker Sat 25-May-13 00:56:54

I kind of agree and disagree that it's no age gap.

I don't think the actual gap is relevant at all. I guess it's just whether you want kids, does he and if it works out, would he work to your timescales.

My experience: ex much older, DP slightly younger (and I have belaboured the point about kids because I am really not convinced I want them but window is short and all that). I was pretty blatant with both on what I expected my life to look like in the future early doors. I actually think that's pretty important. Even if non-specific you can still ensure you are on broadly the same page.

thegoldenfool Sat 25-May-13 13:13:02

I am 6 years older, I think it´s more of a different that we are different nationalities, he´s from the country when I´m from the city etc

I was feeling all embarased when his dad asked me my age but later found out there was exactly the same difference between his mum and dad smile

fiat500fan Sat 25-May-13 18:37:28

My lovely, wonderful DP is 9 years younger than me, I'm 35. It works smile I do look younger than I am though. We have similar outlooks and interests which helps of course. Go for it, you've nothing to lose!

simplesusan Sat 25-May-13 18:41:22

I don't think 5 years is neither here nor there. It shouldn't matter at all.

unapologetic Sat 25-May-13 21:32:59

I am 5 years older than ex-husband but the age gap did not contribute to the breakdown of our relationship in any way!

Lweji Sat 25-May-13 21:37:02

My xH is 4 years younger than me.

He was a twat, but the age gap was not a problem.
He was 24 when we married.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now