Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm not out of order here, am I?

(9 Posts)
ChocOrangeandPuke Wed 22-May-13 11:06:18

Long story but basically, I split with my children's father around 10 years ago. I always had a better relationship with his mother than I did with him (odd I know!) so always stayed friends with her. In 2009 we went on holiday to america together. Me, her and my two kids (her grandkids). Two weeks, had an amazing time, all the theme parks, cost us a fortune, holiday of a lifetime. Her facebook is full of pictures of this holiday. She'd never been out of the country before, never mind all the way to America and to be fair, she would never have got there if it wasn't for me - not that I'm boasting or expecting eternal thanks but it's relevant later on ...

After that holiday she nagged and nagged at me to book another holiday - anywhere she said, it didn't matter. So a couple of years later I booked a holiday to Turkey. She did nothing but moan the entire time, too hot, didn't like the people, the kids were doing her head in, the food was shit - personally I enjoyed it but can accept that Turkey isn't for everyone. However, I spent a fortune paying for her to go to Greece for the day and to go on another day trip to see turtles etc, not once did I get thanked.

Anyway, fast forward to last year, my relationship with new partner was steaming on ahead and we decided to book a holiday to America. Didn't mention it to ex MIL because I didn't want to rub her face in it. When we got back however, DS had posted pictures on his facebook and she went ape shit, decided she was never, ever talking to me again, decided I treat her like shit and she hates me and doesn't want anything else to do with me.

I was going to try and patch things up but to be honest, I don't know if I can be arsed!! I mean, all I did was go on holiday with my partner, I'm not out of order am I?

NotSoNervous Wed 22-May-13 11:10:20

No YANBU she sounds a bit mental. Does she have a DH? Or any other children? If not maybe she clings to you for holidays because she's of no one else to go with. You d you pay or her to go to Greece?

wellhellobeautiful Wed 22-May-13 11:13:27

Grabby cow. Fuck her.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 22-May-13 13:43:24

She certainly sounds a bit nutty. Almost that you're only allowed to go to America if she rides shotgun.. hmm The 'never taking to you again' ape-shit thing is completely bizarre and totally OTT. Is she having some kind of crisis?

Leverette Wed 22-May-13 14:09:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lavenderhoney Fri 24-May-13 05:34:30

How long has this been going on? Your holiday was last year, so what happened at Christmas and are you still with your dp?

She probably though she was your holiday person and had been looking forward to another trip.

Do the dc like her and still see her?

WinkyWinkola Fri 24-May-13 05:45:21

Far from out of order. You sound very generous.

She sounds like an entitled pest, badgering you to book another holiday with her. Who does that?

pinkyredrose Fri 24-May-13 05:51:24

She's out of order. I don't see why you wouldn't have mentioned that you were going away though, it's not a problem is it, going away with your DP?

If she's got a problem with it then that's up to her but she probably felt in the dark and maybe that you didn't feel you were as close as she thought you were otherwise why would you not have mentioned it? It's not like going on holiday should be a secret.

ladyjadie Fri 24-May-13 09:51:27

You should be able to live your own life without her poking in and being affronted at something that doesn't involve her at all.

Why on earth would she think that you would want to take your exes mother on a trip with your new partner and your kids?! Talk about passion killer!

YADNBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now