Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Are you comfortable with your male partner having female friends he is in regular contact with in reality or/and Email/text/phone/skype/MSN/Yahoo Messenger?

(14 Posts)
SoleSource Tue 21-May-13 21:53:43

I might not be.

I'm single and wondering

something2say Tue 21-May-13 21:55:34

I am to a degree.

I have male friends and my partner is fully aware of them. When I spoke to them, what we are going out etc.

I would sort of want the same.

Any secrecy or shenanigans, and he can GTFO.

HTH x

JessicaBeatriceFletcher Tue 21-May-13 21:56:08

Currently single but in the past, yes, absolutely.

Be prepared. This subject usually gets very heated!

hellymelly Tue 21-May-13 21:56:40

My DH had a gang of female friends in school and they are friendly still (he is 41). I like it that he is at ease with women and have never minded, they are all lovely and we sometimes see them together but if he was meeting one of them for lunch i wouldn't mind at all.

motherinferior Tue 21-May-13 21:56:44

Yes.

I have male friends I am in contact with too.

thereonthestair Tue 21-May-13 21:56:47

Yes absolutely. Why wouldn't I be

Inthebeginning Tue 21-May-13 21:57:23

Totally comfortable with it, as he is with me having male friends.

KittyVonCatsworth Tue 21-May-13 22:00:39

Yes, I think so. I think it'll only be natural if I got wobbly without it being anything to do with him, IYSWIM, more of a confidence issue of my own (often around AF).

DP is very handsome (iMO!) and has the Irish charm to boot! Women, old and young, adore him and I don't blame them! I'm very happy (boak!) and incredibly proud :-)

Booyhoo Tue 21-May-13 22:01:17

i am single.

in last relationship no i wasn't happy but that is because i didn't trust EXP at all. he didn't trust me either so my friendships were restricted too. awful relationship.

i have to say if i am ever (not looking likely hmm) in another relationship i wont be curbing any of my friendships and wouldn't expect a boyfriend/partner to do so for me either. i would have to have complete trust in them (and them in me) or i couldn't be with them. anything less is just a recipe for disaster.

scaevola Tue 21-May-13 22:08:44

It isn't a problem as long as you are aware of the extent and nature of the contact. If he's keeping secrets, it's very dangerous territory.

halestone Tue 21-May-13 22:35:01

My DP's best friend is female they text every couple of days and occasionally go the pub for a drink. When he goes on nights out she is always there and i am completely fine with that. I trust DP and have never even met her but know he would never cheat.

I think i can do this though as most of my friends are male and i often text them or go out with them. DP is fine with this and we never have troubles regarding this subject. I genuinely don't understand why this is a subject to be worried about.

I don't mind some but others see dps harmless having a laugh as real flirting and can get a bit flirty and clingy with him. Even bloody married ones. yes karen i'm looking at you you fud stop phoning my dp to tslk about your sister. Talk to your bloody husband instead. Eleven pm is not a good time to talk. Oh and i hear you grunt when i'm mentioned as though i am a nuisance to your lovely chats you dick face jeremy kyle show turd

she really was on the jk show

HairyGrotter Wed 22-May-13 07:56:05

DP's best friend is female, I have no problems at all. They talk and text regularly. I've met her several times and we get on really well. She is married, and we sometimes do things as couples and my DP and her do things alone on occasions.

I trust DP, plus they were friends long before I came on the scene.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Wed 22-May-13 08:05:17

DP has quite a few female friends from his teenage years. He has some stereotypically feminine interests he is quite camp and I don't really so its nice that he has people to do those things with. I wouldn't say that DP would never cheat, not because I think he would but because people do and their DP's generally don't predict it but I don't think his female friends make it more likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now