Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I wish Mumsnet had been around over 20 years ago...

(6 Posts)
Officershitty Mon 20-May-13 19:05:05

... when my twat raydar was nonexistent, and I had yet to learn what I have learnt the hard way relationshipswise. Yes I know there were help sources back then, but none so immediate...
I read accounts on here and nod, yes, that sounds similar to what I went through back then. Hope others learn from my mistakes etc.

Officershitty Mon 20-May-13 19:05:48

radar ..

Mouseyinmyhousey Mon 20-May-13 19:51:15

But if all these wise women hadn't learnt first hand, they wouldn't be here to be able to help the ones who have yet to learn.

I wish I'd known about mn just 5-10 years ago, but then I might not have been ready to hear certain things.

MadBusLady Mon 20-May-13 19:54:52

Mumsnet actually was around for part of the time I needed it (needed it from 1997 really, but at least it was there from 2000-2003!) So I wish something a bit different. I wish it was normal for young women without a thought in their heads of being mums to go there for relationships advice. Magazine advice columns are too generic and brief, friends and female relatives can be actively harmful hmm, damaging messages are everywhere.

ImperialBlether Mon 20-May-13 19:58:12

I really, REALLY could have done with MN when I was much younger.

I also could have done with it when I was a teenager.

Officershitty Mon 20-May-13 20:15:44

Mousey, I think that is a very insightful comment about not being ready to hear certain advice. I may not have been and had to try things not believing they would work but when they did I had to admit my way of 'relating' to men had been wrong.
Letters I wish I had never sent, the thinking that a man would make me complete. Lots more. Without wanting to sound like a psychology textbook I will say that I am in a better place now but it took me a long time and I am now with a decent bloke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now