Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone have experience of PTSD please

(5 Posts)
Cravey Mon 13-May-13 14:24:56

Long story short my 22 year old son is showing signs of PTSD. He returned from a tour of afghan at xmas and has slowly gone downhill. He got married in February and from what I can gather his marriage is not going well. He is shouting at my dil and not returning home when he should. I know from him that he has been receiving the counselling that the army provides but dil is not receiving any. She has asked me to have a chat with him and I will if needs be but also don't want to be cast into the interfering mother role. I feel so so sad and helpless any advice would be greatly appreciated.

something2say Mon 13-May-13 18:13:38

Nothing much to add except that it is quite common for people to experience this after active service. I am reading a book about it actually. It seems that servicemen experience flashbacks, anger, interrupted relationships and things like that..... No advice tho I'm afraid, don't know what to advise.

musickeepsmesane Mon 13-May-13 18:22:12

She has asked for help. That is not interfering. It is good that he is getting counselling. Let him know you are worried for him, other than that there is probably not a lot you can do. Support DIL, maybe find her some help. It is very sad and very difficult flowers

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 13-May-13 18:46:59

I would advise them to contact the charity called Combat Stress as they could well be able to help your son I hope he is talking to them already.

Your DIL may also want to talk to them as well as SSAFA as they are also for the wives and partners of service personnel.

Imnotagilmoregirl Wed 22-May-13 21:19:08


Only just seen this post and had to reply, I have been in the position of your DIL. Please please tell her to contact army welfare services, get your son to visit a GP at the med centre as well as counselling (in my experience the counselling they first receive is very basic, if the GP can refer him it'd be better)

Encourage her to be pushy with them about this!

Otherwise, be there for them, try and remain neutral, give lots of love.

Oh, and be aware squaddies (not all, but most) will drown their sorrows. Keep an eye out for this. Wish you all the best xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: