Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Which dating site is best? Opinions please..

(68 Posts)
MumWithCamera Fri 10-May-13 11:27:06

I have a male friend who's had a bad time of it with cold-hearted ex-gf last year and he's now single and looking for love. He's signed up to Plenty of Fish but doesn't seem to be having much luck finding Mrs Right.

I dont have any experience with dating sites, so wonder if its this website that's the problem - should he try Match or eHarmony instead? If anyone has positive experiences which sites do you recommend for finding a love-match? So far he's had a few dubious people - one was saying she wanted to come live with him when hadn't even met him and only messaged him twice hmm

Thanks in advance for suggestions - you will (hopefully) be turning my friend's life around and bringing a bit of happiness smile

And before you suggest it - I am happily with DP and we have a DD together, so I'm not in the running! Just looking to help a friend!

pasterfield9 Wed 27-Sep-17 19:21:14

I met my boyfriend on Tinder but I had to wade through a lot of dross first. I think I met about 15 men in person, and talked to an uncountable number of freaks and idiots, before him. So it can be done but you need to develop a thick skin and clear boundaries. There are a lot of men on there just looking for sex, but they seem to be quite upfront about it. There are also a lot of people on there in relationships, who are just looking for swipes and validation

goingpregnant Wed 27-Sep-17 08:36:20

I met The One of mine on mpwh.com...

motoc Tue 18-Jul-17 17:45:49

Maybe Tinder is better if you want to cut to the chase and meet people quicker than using websites?

motoc Tue 18-Jul-17 17:43:19

I find myself asking the same question. I have currently set up Tinder and kept biography short and to the point and uploaded three photos of me which are no less than a month old. Trouble is i get matches but no one wants to seem to meet up in person. I generally delete matches within 24 hours if they haven't said anything or replied to messages as whats the point? I am looking for a long term relationship maybe marriage but should i state that in Tinder or POF?
I don't want to appear desperate but neither do i want to attract time wasters etc. Do any of you who do Tinder swipe left on profiles with no text in but otherwise nice looking people? How long do you generally give people before meeting up in real life? I am very outdoorsy, interested in nature and love animals so i do put that in my profile. I am not interested in the clubbing or drinking culture so i always seem to attract older people which isn't my thing. Should add i am 34. I have joined Meetup.com so i am not relying on meeting anyone via Tinder or POF.

daducky88 Tue 18-Jul-17 17:11:24

You say just talk, but :
1) what is your expectations of the number of messages before the ask out
2) assuming you,d given friendly messages to indicate "look: this way"

Mumfun Sun 21-May-17 22:06:44

Would not bother with paying sites. OKC best - the matching is good I think. There are fetishists, polyamorous etc but they are upfront about it so no issue. You do have to be patient and sift through a lot and some wont be interested or respond to you. But I had several good dates. Now dating someone lovely from there.

Heard good things of Bumble too.

medondons Sun 21-May-17 22:02:23

I chose Elite Singles, joined at the beginning of March, went on dates with six different men, but clicked early on with one of them and have been together since. Early days, but going well. It would seem all of the men I met were genuine, just some of them, just weren't for me in the flesh!! Xx

Changedname3456 Sun 21-May-17 21:54:47

I paid for Match and thought it was a waste of time and money. A lot of the women were on POF as well anyway, and I found it equally painful - lots of time wasters and innacurate profiles etc - but at least I hadn't had to pay!

Saying that, I've been with my DP for 4 years now and met her on POF, so it wasn't all bad.

BernieBear Sun 21-May-17 12:36:47

Another vote for Tinder, as someone else said, it's unapologetically honest which, in the online dating world, is a huge relief! My brother met his girlfriend on it (been together a year and now living together) and I'm 4 months into a relationship with a chap I met on there. It's no longer a hook up site (although that option is still available if you wanted to) grin

Trills Sun 21-May-17 09:35:29

Great minds think alike!

I also agree that Tinder is not just for hookups. People use Tinder for the full range of things it could be used for. It's easy enough to filter out those who want something you don't want, once you get your eye in.

shouldstaysingle Sun 21-May-17 09:28:12

@Trills I just saw we wrote the same thinggrin

shouldstaysingle Sun 21-May-17 09:23:43

I use bumble. The woman has 24 hours in which to initiate a conversation after a match. No dates so far but looks good.

Trills Sun 21-May-17 09:10:39

I like Bumble (pretty much like Tinder but the woman has to send the first message) but it's only worth trying that in a biggish city.

MargotMoon Sun 21-May-17 09:07:40

I met my DP on OK Cupid

Trills Sun 21-May-17 08:49:29

I do enjoy replying to people whose "looking for" age ends at an age that is younger than their own age and telling them that no, because of this I am not interested in talking to them.

iamreginaphalange Sun 21-May-17 08:32:58

Met my OH on POF.
Only thing I'd say is to go into it with open mind really and a big sieve lol

user1490465531 Sun 21-May-17 08:20:56

I'm 38 and wouldn't date fifty plus. can they really get women in this age group?

MoreFlowers Sat 20-May-17 22:03:47

guardian soulmates: pofaced
plenty of fish: blokey essex man
match.com creeps

^ Yes! I would also add - I found Guardian Soulmates profiles mostly really up themselves, with their arty self-advertiesements and so forth. Also, I am 50, but every one of them want someone 35-49 if they are 50 plus. I found the self-regard and entitlement really off-putting.

Over the last 5 years, on and off, all the men I've ever met on dating sites have been weird. IMO dating sites are just choc-a-block with strange sad weirdos and misogynists.

I think there are exceptions of course! But certainly in my age bracket you would literally have to wade through so many of them for the sake of meeting a vaguely decent, nice-looking bloke, it would actually be a waste of your own life!!! I have now decided to do much more enjoyable things with my time smile.

countryside8 Sat 20-May-17 17:54:17

The trouble i found was all the people i was interested in weren't interested in me and just wanted to chat. Maybe online dating works if you live in a city but if your in a rural location like myself there are few people. I would never use POF again as that site seems to be cesspit and full of unhinged fruit loops. I think Tinder is the way forward and will persevere with Grindr but other than that i think sites are 'dead'. Most people have smartphones today and use the dating apps. I have no interest nor the time for a long distance relationship. How far do you all travel/meet your dates? Good luck to you all :-)

countryside8 Sat 20-May-17 17:44:44

None they are all a load of shite. Bitter and jaded with online dating and given up.

Justtypicalman Fri 19-May-17 22:32:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LesisMiserable Tue 01-Nov-16 23:23:32

Tinder is unapologetically straightforward and all the better for it. Met my lovely DP on it, our two year anniversary is tomorrow and our honeymoon next year is already booked (just need to sort a wedding now grin )

Princesspinkgirl Tue 01-Nov-16 21:58:24

Met my other half on meet me app

EvansOvalPies Fri 28-Oct-16 15:01:39

Excellent - thank you, Lisa

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 28-Oct-16 14:34:42

Hi there, just to let you know we've zapped Megamegalove's post - we had a very high number of reports about various things on Mumsnet today so it just took a little while to get to this one. Thanks for reporting it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now