Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Toxic parents/in-laws books

(3 Posts)
notagreathostess Thu 09-May-13 13:23:48

I've posted here about my and DHs' struggles with MIL and received much useful advice. DH is (always has been) very much in agreement with me about MIL's unrealistic expectations of us and the resultant emotional blackmail etc. but naturally enough struggles to deal with her.

I bought Toxic In-Laws and we have both read it and found it useful. Is it worth also getting Toxic Parents or will DH have got the same information from having read the first book?

Thanks in advance!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 09-May-13 13:56:56

How about, rather than focusing on it being awkward parents, DH and you check out some help in being more assertive generally? As a team, if you can find effective ways to say 'enough', then that's a useful skill to have for any difficult people you meet along the way. I don't think parents are anything special in that regard.

notagreathostess Thu 09-May-13 14:08:02

That would certainly be great do you have any pointers in that direction? It's true that neither of us is particularly assertive, but the fact that she is DH's mother compounds it enormously as it's his "normal". He particularly struggles to see that "she doesn't do it maliciously/she doesn't understand" isn't really an excuse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now