Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

new life..new place..help please

(7 Posts)
singlemammy Sun 05-May-13 22:35:38

can anybody tell me how i go about moving to a different part of the country please..? is it just a fact of saving then renting somwehere or is there more help..any help appericiated thank you

ElectricSheep Mon 06-May-13 00:41:44

Not sure what you mean by more help? There might be some agencies that could help if you have a specific problem.

Otherwise, it's just the same as moving anywhere.

Walkacrossthesand Mon 06-May-13 01:17:54

Do you have a particular area in mind, do you know anyone who lives there already, do you have DCs who will need schools (I imagine so, from your nickname)... T'internet is a godsend in this, you can research areas (look at local council websites, UpMyStreet, find letting agents and look to see what kind of place you can get for the money)...You need a starting point though, ie where you want to live. And there's always the 'local' MN pages/friendship benches where you might find MNers who can give you some inside information.

glastocat Mon 06-May-13 02:13:15

Save up, get a job, research schools and areas, find somewhere to live, move? Not sure who you think would help you?

4amInsomniac Mon 06-May-13 04:27:59

Sounds like you might want to move away from something... or someone?

Do you know where you are moving to, or do you just want to go far from where you are at the moment? If you need to choose somewhere, make a list of all factors that would matter to you, eg. schools, nurseries, housing costs, rail links, distance from family, job availability, access to hobbies, health care etc, do lots of internet research to narrow it down to 3 towns/areas then visit them if you can to pick one.

Then use your list above to generate a "to do" list eg. contact schools about spaces, contact letting agents about house rentals, apply for jobs...

The difficulty may be timing it all, and you may have to make difficult decisions: what if you are offered a job but haven't found a house you like? Or you've found a house but the nearest school can't yet confirm places?

It can be a challenge, but I enjoy having a new place to explore and new people to meet, hope you do too!

NandH Mon 06-May-13 08:04:47

I've just Done this:
we done it like this....

- searched for jobs for dp in the area we were looking at going to.

- put house up for sale/end tenancy.

- dp got some interviews...took a job.

- rented a house in area smile

- moved over a weekend as it was far to far to do in a day.

it wasn't easy and the hardest bit is having no friends or family around.

glastocat Tue 07-May-13 04:32:29

I've just done it too, although our process went like this.

Apply for husbands Aussie passport. Wait for it to arrive.
Apply for sons citizenship by descent.
Apply for sons Aussie passport.
Get my spose visa application. Spend ages gathering evidence of marriage over fifteen years. Submit documents to visa office with large cheque.
Wait a bit, submit more requested documents.
Get police checks, submit to embassy.
Have a medical, submit results.
Wait some more.
Sell or give away most of our possessions.
Pack the rest. Arrange shipping company
Arrange short term let for first 12 weeks, send a massive cheque to pay in full.
Wait some more, apply for holiday visa.
Buy plane tickets, another large cheque. Hand in notice at home and work.
Have a few parties, travel country saying goodbye to everyone
Open Aussie bank account, transfer cash.
Cancel direct debits.
Finally get visa.
Pack cases.
go!

Arrive new country.
Husband looks for work, gets job.
Look for new house.
Move in!

never again! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now