Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

6 months in. moving in.

(4 Posts)
littleballerina Sun 05-May-13 00:21:49

have known dp for ever but finally became a couple 6 months ago. i had recently come out of a long marriage and have dc.

dp has mentioned a few times about living together. i'd really like to and if i didn't have dc i wouldn't hesitate but although my dc adore him i'm thinking it may be too soon for dc?

dp isn't forcing it, it was more a suggestion, but i like the idea. he's not going to run away etc. i explained how i felt and he gets it.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 05-May-13 06:33:17

To me it sounds too soon for you as well as the DCs. You've hardly had any time to re-establish yourself as an independent woman and an independent family. You're only recently out of a long marriage which is a traumatic experience, even if the split was amicable. You may have known your DP 'for ever' as a friend but that's nothing like the same as being partners. If you like/love each other, another six or 12 months won't make any difference.

ALittleStranger Sun 05-May-13 09:17:40

I agree, I think it's too soon. Completely agree with Cogito that you need time to restabilish yourself as an independent family. Six months is too soon when there are children involved. Basically you need to know for sure that if he's moving in he's not then moving out in another 6/12/24 months as it will be too disruptive for your DPs this close to the divorce.

littleballerina Sun 05-May-13 17:12:00

thanks both.
you have both confirmed my gut feelings!

i would hate for him to move in too soon and we all end up hurt when it doesn't work out.

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now