Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How can I be more confident?

(9 Posts)
mama2moo Fri 03-May-13 13:53:40

Long story short - Met a guy from work who I have liked for ages. Got on really well, had a cheeky snog and then he went on holiday!

Nothing else has happened and everytime I see him in work I go bright red and just walk past him. I cant even say hi.

Help, how can I be more confident? When I have had a drink I am great fun, can chat to anyone and have a great time. Maybe I should drink before work?!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 03-May-13 14:02:36

Just ask him how his holiday went. Be yourself and if he's not interested then at least you know where you stand then.

Are you generally this unconfident about yourself, how would you rate your own self worth and self esteem?. You are unique after all, that in itself is to be celebrated. Sounds trite but its true.

Don't use drink to make yourself relax, its really not a good idea at all to use drink like that. Alcohol is also a depressant.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 03-May-13 14:05:46

How to be more confident.... practice! Rehearse what you want to say beforehand because that helps a lot. Walk tall rather than scuttling about apologetically and red-faced. Smile..... the act of smiling releases endorphins. Then smile at lover boy and ask him out for a coffee or something.

(Will I be killed if I say 'simples'?)

currentlyconfuseddotcom Fri 03-May-13 14:06:45

Cogito, you would be tracked down and jumped on by a trillion meerkats

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 03-May-13 14:13:56

Meerkat clichés ... I hate myself... I really do.

mama2moo Fri 03-May-13 21:01:05

I do have self confidence issues, always have. I used to be very fat and I dont think that ever left me.

Next time I see him I will just smile and say hi. I will go bright bloody red though - How can I stop that?!

Lweji Fri 03-May-13 21:03:31

Yes, say hi and start asking questions, such as how was his holiday. Most men like to talk about themselves and he'll be flattered by your interest.

If he asks about you you'll know he's interested. If he doesn't he probably isn't or he's a self centrered knob. smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 04-May-13 07:12:29

'bright bloody red'

Wear good foundation... smile Pinking up is actually no big deal. Always feels worse from the inside than it looks from the outside. Some people even find it attractive.

EvaB7 Sat 04-May-13 08:00:44

What about sending him a joke or funny link on email or something like that if you aren't the most confident? That would kind of tell him that you are still interested. In my experience most people are confident at things they are good at and not so much about things they don't feel so secure with so don't beat yourself up about it. I go red sometimes for silly things, not sure if it comes from shyness but try not to worry about it, I'm sure some men probably find it endearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now