Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

So tempted to give him a taste of his own medicine but what about the kids ?

(8 Posts)
Mosman Thu 02-May-13 11:15:55

As I may have mentioned I am unhappily stuck with cheating H until I am able to get PR and then a good job to support us all in Perth.
I have been offered a job in Sydney - 5 hour flight.
"DH" left us Monday to Friday when my youngest was 9 months old to go and work down south and fucking some tart on the way down for 6 months.
I was on my own with 4 kids, working full time during all this nonsense.

Would it be damaging do you think for me to take a break of say 6 months and leave him holding the baby so to speak.
I'd skype every night and come home Friday night, leave Sunday night.

fuzzywuzzy Thu 02-May-13 11:20:22

I'd get legal advice first.

How do you envision the child care would be when you divorce? He'd have them half the time?

Dahlen Thu 02-May-13 11:20:41

Difficult one with no easy answers I think.

On a what's fair for you in comparison to him, of course you'd be well within your rights and it may make him a better person/parent in the long run to see what you had to deal with.

Ordinarily, with two loving parents, it would make no difference whether it was mum or dad working away from home.

However, given that your family is currently going through a separation, it could be one adjustment too many for the DC. How much are they aware of what's going on?

Only you know what's right for your family really.

Lweji Thu 02-May-13 11:22:58

I have a friend who works away from home and goes back on weekends. My dad did this for a year or so when we were little.
I don't think it affects the children that much.
My DB and SIL are both doctors and don't see their children that much.

The problem is whether you can do it and be away from the children. smile

Dahlen Thu 02-May-13 11:24:18

Good point raised by Fuzzy - depending on what you want to happen in terms of residency, you could end up shooting yourself in the foot.

Mosman Thu 02-May-13 11:29:23

We'd have 50/50 anyway and I would insist on that no matter what.
I enviage that he and the kids would end up in Sydney with me anyway it's just a case of me sorting everything out before they moved across so things are less stressful than they were when we landed in Perth.

Lweji Thu 02-May-13 11:34:40

Also, can you trust him to keep up the Skype chats?

And would you trust him to let the children end up in Sidney with you?
He could argue that they were now settled in his town.

Mosman Thu 02-May-13 11:37:24

The kids are old enough to sort out their own skypes.
And again I'd just take them if he started playing silly buggers - to the UK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now