Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Groups/clubs/activities - how to join in conversations the first time you go. Any tricks or tips?

(4 Posts)
BellaWilson Tue 30-Apr-13 06:25:38

DCs are all grown up and I'm getting out into the world again on my own and considering joining some community groups/activities/clubs. Trouble is I find it really difficult to talk with people who are already in established groups and I can't keep the conversation going with anyone who talks to me. I can see their eyes glaze over with boredom, and they quickly find an excuse to move on. All I can think of is asking them questions, which works for a while, but then gets silly, like I'm interviewing them. blush

I'm not totally socially inadequate, just take a while to relax with people and sometimes feels rather inferior if they speak better than me or are very confident.

I so much want to get involved and make some friends. Any tricks or tips you can offer?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 30-Apr-13 06:45:33

If you join an existing group it's pretty easy because you've automatically got something in common. I joined a community music project a few years ago and we talk about... music smile Say to the sax player 'nice solo' and you've got a pal for life. Asking questions isn't a bad start but you're allowed to talk about yourself as well. Persevere.

alpinemeadow Tue 30-Apr-13 08:06:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 30-Apr-13 08:57:21

Another good conversation-starter is to pick some controversial/funny/interesting news/sports event. Lob .... 'they've arrested Rolf Harris, is nothing sacred?' or 'Maggie's funeral went well didn't it?'... into the group and (unless everyone is pathologically introverted) you're going to spark at least a few opinions. Check out the AIBU board for inspiration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now