Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mother is grinding me down..

(3 Posts)
WazzaWoo Mon 29-Apr-13 17:54:30

Mother always been a heavy drinker, always nasty with it and after a big argument, agreed she would stop drinking.. She hasn't.
Anyway she is always miserable,thinks the world owes her etc, never happy for me or dsis in anything we do. Complains constantly rhat she had no money (but manages to smoke and drink)! And always thinks at 57 she shoild be able to not work, she didnt work through all our childhood and has racked up huge debts ib the meantime.
Sorry for rambling.. She is really getting me down, everytime we see her she just drains us.
What can I do? I try to talk to her but she just goes on that shes had such a hard life etc when she really hasn't and that life is unfair although everything that has happened is through her drinking/debts etc.
I dont want to cut contact but just cant go on like this.
Any advice?

EarthtoMajorTom Mon 29-Apr-13 20:38:17

Yes, you could contact Al-Anon, plenty of people there who have been / are currently in your situation. There is not much you can do directly for your mother, it's her life to lead, but you can learn to cope better. If she doesn't listen to what you've said so far, maybe stop saying it? You can't make her stop drinking or blaming... maybe don't argue any more? Anyway I recommend Al-Anon, google it, try the phone number, they will understand. Best wishes.

WazzaWoo Mon 29-Apr-13 21:18:33

Thanks for your response, I think I will ring.. Could do with the support.
Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now