Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Wind yer neck in

(21 Posts)
UnderNoCircs Sun 28-Apr-13 18:52:41

What would your reaction be if someone said this to you?

StuffezLaYoni Sun 28-Apr-13 18:54:43

That they had been watching too much Jeremy Kyle. That they talk to people like crap.
It's a ridiculous phrase used by idiots.
IMHO.

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 28-Apr-13 18:54:55

I'd think "Mum, is that you?"

Then I'd think about whether I did in fact need to wind my neck in.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 28-Apr-13 18:56:32

depends on the context, if you are poking your nose in where it may do damage then wind your neck in you must! Although i would be a little hmm about the choice of language.

UnderNoCircs Sun 28-Apr-13 18:56:50

So it's not OK for your husband to say it to you?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 28-Apr-13 18:58:15

I would also think it werey mother! common phrase where im from and it has been said to me many times as a mouthy teenager. grin

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 28-Apr-13 18:58:27

were my**

SlumberingDormouse Sun 28-Apr-13 18:58:37

I actually find this phrase quite amusing as it reminds me of a goose with a really long neck. However, I don't use it myself and think it's pretty rude.

UnderNoCircs Sun 28-Apr-13 18:58:40

Sorry, LEMisdisappointed, didn't see your post. He was telling me how it is, and I disagreed and tried to interject.

ouryve Sun 28-Apr-13 18:59:03

Something along the lines of "I beg your pardon?"

StuffezLaYoni Sun 28-Apr-13 18:59:41

I wouldn't want to be spoken to like that - what's wrong with "calm down" or similar? I think it implies you're being a bit hysterical.

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 28-Apr-13 18:59:44

Depends if you'd said "I'm going to empty our savings account and go travelling with my friend and can you lookuadtdp our children on your own for a year?" then he'd be well within his rights.

If you've said "I don't like you drink driving" and he's said it in response, not ok.

To summarise, need more info.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 28-Apr-13 19:02:56

The "telling you how it is" is more worrying if you ask me! It really still depends, If i am trying to get a point across and my DP interrupts i have been known to say "just shut up a minute will you" or just "shut up, i'm talking now" which is actually bloody rude but is said in good humour and exasperation because i tend to make long sentences and he doesn't have the patience to listen!!

If he is laying the law down about something though - no no no

LEMisdisappointed Sun 28-Apr-13 19:03:57

You could always respond with hmm face "did you mean to be so rude"?

UnderNoCircs Sun 28-Apr-13 19:10:17

Laying the law down, yes, that.

I was so shocked I shut up and let him carry on. A lot of what he was saying was bunkum though, factually incorrect.

Not the first time either, so I don't know why I was shocked.

UnderNoCircs Sun 28-Apr-13 19:11:19

He doesn't notice hmm faces.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 28-Apr-13 19:15:50

Wait until HE has wound his neck in and calmed down and sit him down and TELL him that you will not be spoken to that way, that you find it upsetting and disrespectful.

What was he "laying down the law" about? its ok if you'd ratehr not say - if its "the voice is better than BGT" type argument then its not so bad, but family finances and other important things - not on!

UnderNoCircs Sun 28-Apr-13 20:26:36

Not quite as mundane as The Voice!

I shall tell him when he has stopped being The Big Man Whom No-one Questions; tomorrow probably.

Thank you.

carlywurly Sun 28-Apr-13 20:27:41

I'm going to go against the grain as I say this to dp all the time, and my lovely in laws say it to me too. it's just banter with us, and I'd never find it offensive. confused

cjel Sun 28-Apr-13 21:43:16

My ex used to say that to me. He was EA and of all the things he said I still eel that this was really condescending and gives me the shivers!!

Geckoandthemonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 21:48:20

Definitely sounds pathetic & childish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now