Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How does she get him out?

(4 Posts)
nearlymumofone Fri 26-Apr-13 08:34:33

Hello. I'm messaging on behalf of a good friend who needs some advice and unfortunately I'm a bit rubbish as I just don't know the answers.

In short she has put up with a hell of a lot of rubbish from dh and finally 3 months pregnant (and with a 3 year old dc) has come to the conclusion that she can't continue with him dictating her life.

There is no way that he will leave the family home when she asks/tells him to (this is a given as he is such an arrogant, self rightous man who will say that she and dc should leave). So what does she do in this situation?

Their home in several hours from all her family and friends and she ultimately would want to move to where they all are. How long would she have to stay in the family home? (When she got legal advice last year she was told to remain in the family home).

She did get legal advice last year but money is tight and is there anyone she can speak to for advice for free?

Many thanks for your help. She has put up with a lot from him and I really hope she can get out of this as easily as possible for her sake and her gorgeous little dc.

Thank you.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 26-Apr-13 09:15:12

If she's desperately unhappy and has a place to stay with family and friends then I think she should take the opportunity, pack up with the kids, and then start the divorce from her new location. 'Stay in the home' is sound advice when it's just a case of growing apart but, if there is someone 'dictating her life', subjecting her to emotional abuse or worse, then normal advice doesn't apply.

She might also consider calling Womens Aid. They have very practical advice for women in your friend's situation. CAB might also be able to help with legal advice and benefit issues (if appropriate). Good luck

nearlymumofone Fri 26-Apr-13 10:59:01

Many thanks for that. Will pass that information on.

YoniFoolsAndHorses Fri 26-Apr-13 11:10:12

She is still entitled to half the assets even if she leaves the home. My abused friend moved out one day and then divorced - her sol said the stay in the home advice was outdated.

My advice, get her to get as much cash together as possible and go to her parents and then start divorce proceedings.

Ditto women's aid for practical help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: