Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Well ... It's over ... Worried about finances !

(11 Posts)
Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 19-Apr-13 12:24:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mosman Fri 19-Apr-13 12:53:24

That's exactly where I am right now, in my case waiting for a visa to come through as well though so that I can work.
It's not ideal but if you change your mindset to seeing him as a flat mate to whom you would have to bd poliet etc that helps.
I don't know how long this can go on for but presumably at done point you won't need child care and that gives you a huge chunk of your budget back

freemanbatch Fri 19-Apr-13 13:04:05

Get yourself a separate bank account for your money to go in, suggest he does the same and then you each pay over your half of the money for the rent, council tax, gas electric etc that are shared costs between flatmates.

Ring tax credits and tell them you want to claim on your own and ask about help towards paying for childcare. Ring the council and find out if you could get help from them towards your rent and council tax if you were living on your own. Once you've spoken to everyone and have estimated figures for your finances write everything down and work out how long you need to stay in the same house before you can afford to live apart.

You might not be able to afford it right now but having a point in the future to focus on can be good for the sanity and help get you through the initial not nice bits.

Good luck.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 19-Apr-13 13:21:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Fri 19-Apr-13 13:25:19

You might have problems with tax credits et al because the pair of you still live together.

I know this is never a popular suggestion on MN, but can you work? This would go a long way towards getting you the independence you need to get away from this relationship.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 19-Apr-13 13:34:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Fri 19-Apr-13 13:37:10

Good. K, then it's entirely possible for you to get another place to rent. Will he go? That would be easier.

Do you have your own account(s)? That's important, too.

Ring tax credits office and see what they say but the fact that you are living together may be a curve ball.

cooper44 Fri 19-Apr-13 13:46:11

Hi insey you can definitely get tax credits if you've separated but are still living together. I get about half my childcare costs back. ExH has lived with us while looking for a new place. So do a claim as a single parent but tell them your situation. I called to discuss it all. They were v helpful. But I do have entirely separate finances from exH and always have done so be careful if your accounts are still quite meshed together as from their point of view you could still be a couple iyswim.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 19-Apr-13 14:15:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hatpin Fri 19-Apr-13 15:16:10

You can definitely claim tax credits as a single parent while still living under same roof as ex, as I did for 6 months until I could afford to move out. You have to tell them you are separated, separate rooms, finances, laundry, food shopping, cooking etc. You have to be prepared someone could visit to check ( never mentioned to me but best to be prepared).

Good luck - if you work FT I would think you could make it work.

Also check what your entitlement would be including paid childcare on an online calculator - you should get 70% back iirc.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 19-Apr-13 18:09:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: