Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Where can my child and I go and what will I do if I leave my partner?n What are my financial rights?

(2 Posts)
frank13 Thu 18-Apr-13 15:34:07

Hello - I need to know what my financial rights are.
I may leave my partner and we have a young child together. We are not married but have lived together 4 years. He pays the mortgage and all the bills. My name is not on anything - mortgage or bills - as he wants it that way. I am a stay-at-home mum and do piecemeal work.
I want to stay in the area but I don't think I will be able to afford to as have no family around ... which means going back to where my parents are, which I don't want to do. But I will get help with childcare if I do that and will be able to work full/part time.
What help do single mother's get with rent for example? If anything. Does it depend on whether you work? As we are not married what would DP have to contribute housing wise?
I am scared silly about it all.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 18-Apr-13 15:51:28

What you'd be entitled to financially would be maintenance from your partner for your child plus whatever state benefits are available depending on your circumstances. If you want to stay in the area you should talk to your local authority housing dept and see if they have some suggestions. To get an idea of benefits the benefits checker is very good.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: