Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Finally told DH the extent of my health anxiety last night...worried he sees me differently now.

(5 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Tue 16-Apr-13 09:45:13

He knows about my ongoing health issues, I tell him when I'm feeling bad. But until last night he didn't know that every single day I worry that the doctors have missed something, that I'm going to die and leave the DC. It's in the back of my head all the time.

He was lovely but I don't think he knows what to do with it. He wants to give me practical advice and I'm not sure there is any. We've been together a very long time and I'm scared things will change
between us now. I don't know why I would think that, I suppose he was a bit quiet with me this morning.

I just want to be that completely normal girl he fell in love with again.

Mumsyblouse Tue 16-Apr-13 09:48:49

I think you have done the right thing by sharing (assuming he is a kind nice man) because now you can tackle it as a team and now he knows what the problem is. Have you tried CBT? It is very effective for resetting irrational thought patterns. Are you seeing a counsellor? I think the key is not to make him the solution just because he knows, if you see what I mean, he is not the answer to your health anxiety (he's not a health professional and it's too large a burden) but he could help you manage it by encouraging you towards seeking help and persisting with the techniques you are taught.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 16-Apr-13 10:00:01

He's a lovely man. Thanks, that's really good advice - I really don't want to put that weight on his shoulders.

skaboy Tue 16-Apr-13 10:49:53

Really sorry to hear about your health issues. My advice from peronal experience is you should be as honest as possible, he will support you 100 percent if he loves you.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 16-Apr-13 18:38:34

Thanks, it really is that simple I think. Feeling so much better today, talking about it must have helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now