Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Match.com etc. help!!!

(13 Posts)
Bulletproofmum Mon 15-Apr-13 20:59:22

In a fit of impulsivity I joined match.com last night. Now I'm panicking and haven't got a clue how it works.

I'm getting winks, favourites, likes,
: wtf!?

I've had two men email me.

So what do I do now?!

ohtobecleo Mon 15-Apr-13 21:09:10

If you like the look of their profiles then email them back and see what happens.

Bulletproofmum Mon 15-Apr-13 21:17:47

If I don't, do I just ignore?

Seems rude!

Destinysdaughter Mon 15-Apr-13 22:27:22

Ha ha the brutal world of Internet dating!! You are not obliged to reply to people if you are not interested but if that makes you feel bad you could send a polite reply saying thanks but they're not what you are looking for. Ime it can be v time consuming and if you do like someone I would advise to meet up for coffee fairly early on as people are often very different in rl than how they appear on the net. Also... Men lie! Sorry. Have fun and don't take it too seriously..!

KirstyWirsty Mon 15-Apr-13 22:43:28

Come and join the dating thread .. We are all in it together .. It is on number 51 now

KirstyWirsty Mon 15-Apr-13 22:46:12

dating thread 51

Bulletproofmum Tue 16-Apr-13 09:13:50

Hi thanks.

Where do you normally meet up?

I have looked at the dating thread a few ties. Will join you. It just moves so fast!

Been chatting to one guy that seems alright.

Is there a difference between 'interested' a 'wink' and ptting someone in your favourites IYSWIM?

KirstyWirsty Tue 16-Apr-13 12:35:56

I'd normally meet for a coffee first although I have met for a drink (2 max) for first date

I don't know about winking etc .. I don't bother with them unless they have something to say

Bulletproofmum Tue 16-Apr-13 17:09:37

Do you always wait for someone to approach you?

how do you let someone know if you are interested in chatting

KirstyWirsty Tue 16-Apr-13 18:20:27

I have contacted a couple but haven't had much joy with that tbh sad

I usually just look at their profiles and hope they contact me

Yonihadtoask Tue 16-Apr-13 18:24:00

Patience is key.

I met DH on Match - so it worked for me.

Prior to meeting him though I did find a fair few flaky types on there and other sites.

Walkacrossthesand Tue 16-Apr-13 18:30:50

I think people with a profile but without a subscription can wink, but they can't send or read messages unless they join properly. If you add a guy to your favourites /interested, your profile pops up on his profile and he may email you. If you email someone, they may well not reply - there's not a lot of manners on the OD scene I'm afraid. Look for some mention of something from your profile in any emails you receive - some guys seem to love writing flowery, long but non-specific messages about honesty and compassion - IMO they never come to anything. Set up a special email account just for OD, so if you are unlucky enough to be targeted by a guy who won't take no for an answer, you can shut down email account & disappear without major disruption. Oh, and beware Googlemail - it automatically puts your full name in the 'from' field unless you change that in the settings. Good luck!

slowcooker Tue 16-Apr-13 21:04:58

I also met my lovely husband on match!! I may not give you much advice but I thought you may take heart with another success story. Over 6 years together, been married for 4 and have a 2 year old daughter.
He was divorced with 2 kids.

I know I was really lucky. It went like this. He winked, I replied with a cue from his profile, after a few emails he suggested meeting. We went for a low key first date, ice skating, outdoors in the cold, hot chocolate etc then for a drink. We really hit it off. His photo didn't do justice to him. And everything he'd said on his profile was true.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now