Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Couples counselling?

(9 Posts)
HappyGoLuckyGirl Sat 13-Apr-13 21:09:38

Hi ladies,

Me and my partner have some problems we think will benefit from some relationship counselling, thing is I don't know where to even begin.

We've got a baby due in 2 months so money is an issue. Can anyone give me any advice on this sort of thing? How to go about getting it, region of cost, etc.

We're in Lancashire if location makes a difference.

Thanks smile

Chubfuddler Sat 13-Apr-13 21:10:50

I would suggest relate, it's not free unless you are on benefits I think. About 45 quid per session IIRC

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 13-Apr-13 21:25:22

Relate has a sliding scale if you're on a low income so it's not always that much but that is a rough guide. I guess if cost is an issue it's about prioritising - if it helps you work through problems or (if it comes to it) helps make a split more amicable (taking baby into account etc) then maybe looking at it that way will make it seem less expensive?

cjel Sat 13-Apr-13 21:33:57

In the area I live in(not yours) there is a charity that offers counselling and they don't turn anyone away on the basis of need. they have a suggested 'donation' but when I was half way through and my situation changed I was able to give £1 per session.

BurningBridges Sat 13-Apr-13 21:47:22

When we went to Relate we were only allowed one session when they realised how pregnant I was (8 months), they said we would then have to go back x months after the birth, not sure when that was as in the end we didn't bother. Other counselling services/charities might have different ideas. Have you looked on the Relate website?

Chubfuddler Sat 13-Apr-13 21:52:17

Have you spoken to your midwife?

HappyGoLuckyGirl Sat 13-Apr-13 21:57:36

No, I haven't spoken to her, do you think she could suggest something?

Okay, so relate or look around for a charity that offers counselling.

At least I have somewhere to start now.

cjel Sat 13-Apr-13 22:01:25

Yes midwife may have list of help available.

tethering Sat 13-Apr-13 22:22:58

We went to couple's counselling when I was pregnant and there wasn't a cut-off point regarding the pregnancy and counselling so that may just be a Relate guideline, as BurningBridges says.

We went to a local organisation that had a sliding scale for payment. You can find your local branch here:

www.marriagecare.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now