Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My incredible friend

(14 Posts)
MyFriendIsAmazing Thu 11-Apr-13 13:34:24

I wasn't sure where to post this, and have n-c-ed but I really wanted to say this.

My dear friend lost her husband in a terrible accident last year.
Utterly heartbreaking and heartbroken. Three wonderful children. The image of the four of them in deepest grief, the day they buried him, will be in my mind forever.

She was in turmoil for several weeks, but since then she has picked herself up and got on with life the very best she can for her and her gorgeous boys. I know she has good days and bad days, naturally, but she is an absolute inspiration. Whenever I get a bit "pissed off" with something relatively insignificant, I just think of her and what she has had to cope with and just how unbelievably brilliantly she has done that.

I opened my FB page earlier to find some photos of her and her boys, on holiday, looking fantastic and clearly having a wonderful time. I pretty much cried there and then I was so pleased to see real joy in their faces and their eyes. She didn't add any words to her post, she didn't need to. The pictures said it all.

She is doing her very best to give the boys the childhood and memories that they deserve, I don't know if I could be how she is, if I were in her position. She is so strong and clear thinking despite everything that has happened.

Her husband must be looking down, so very very proud of her and them.

Mumsyblouse Thu 11-Apr-13 13:37:23

I hope your friend reads this- is she a mumsnet user?

MyFriendIsAmazing Thu 11-Apr-13 13:39:09

Not that I know of. But she could be.

Don't worry, I'll be seeing her when she gets back and I'll be saying some of it at least to her face!!!! But I couldn't wait til then, I needed to express it now, whilst the feelings are fresh IYSWIM.

CheeseandPickledOnion Thu 11-Apr-13 13:39:24

You should tell her that.

MyFriendIsAmazing Thu 11-Apr-13 13:42:41

I will, and she already knows some of what I think, but seeing those photos today just clarified it all for me about what she is making of her and her boys' lives.

I just don't want to patronise her. "You're amazing, because your DH died" is NOT the message I want to give her!

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 11-Apr-13 13:47:40

smile Sounds like she could say the same about you. An incredible friend. x

MushroomSoup Thu 11-Apr-13 13:48:46

She's amazing because she is able to get past her own grief in order to make sure her children have the right support and experiences. Well done your friend!

escorpion Thu 11-Apr-13 14:37:25

That is so incredibly moving!! I am so glad she is getting on with her life for her boys. And I agree with NotTreadingGrapes you sound like an amazing friend!

something2say Thu 11-Apr-13 17:51:07

Yes I agree with everyone. Bless her heart! X and yours, and all of us really, trying to do our best with what we've got.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 11-Apr-13 17:57:13

That has given me goose bumps. What a lovely tribute

MyFriendIsAmazing Thu 11-Apr-13 18:30:59

Thanks all. Just looked again at the pictures of her and the boys on holiday and it set me off again!! Can't wait to see her and give her a slightly extra squeezy big hug....

Shellywelly1973 Thu 11-Apr-13 23:11:42

Friends are so important...

I met an amazing friend about 6 years ago. She has every right to cry, moan & bitch about her circumstances.

She's amazing. Strong, positive & a true inspiration.

I love her & thank her for all I've learnt from her, just by knowing her.

ladymariner Thu 11-Apr-13 23:59:53

What a great, uplifting post. So pleased to hear your friend is rebuilding her life and doing so well. I think the pair of you sound wonderful, tbh.....everyone should have friends like you xx

GettingGoing Fri 12-Apr-13 00:22:29

We have a neighbour who is the same - he left her and two tiny girls. She too is amazing. I know I'd be rubbish in the same circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now