Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

can anybody recommend a self help break up book?

(9 Posts)
evenafterallthistime Wed 10-Apr-13 13:10:44

I need some help getting some perspective and positive thinking following break up.

Anybody read any books that have really helped?
Would love to be able to spend the rest of today on the sofa with the duvet and kindle getting a grip of my future!

overtheraenbow Wed 10-Apr-13 13:28:07

I read 'Moving On , Breaking up without Breaking Down' by Suzie Haymen ( a Relate publication) it was very useful and covers all the reasons for breakups not just from an unfaithful partner situation . I still haul it out when I am feeling down . Good luck xx

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 10-Apr-13 14:02:45

I'm not big on self-help books. However, I do quite enjoy reading about people, either real or fictional, who have overcome proper adversity and gone on to greater things more generally. I remember reading Nelson Mandela's 'Long Walk to Freedom' at a particular low point and thinking if he can tolerate nearly 30 years captivity and still emerge smiling in a flowery shirt, it kind of puts my trivial crap into perspective. smile

I also think there's a lot to be said for a bloody good laugh to take your mind of some idiot ex. Caveat... always the kiss of death when someone says a book is 'hilarious', but Bill Bryson's 'Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' has tears rolling down my face, in a good way.

ladymuckbeth Wed 10-Apr-13 16:16:17

Look up "Getting Past Your Breakup" on Amazon - gets incredible reviews and I am really enjoying it. Dreadful Americanese title but excellent and wide-ranging content.

chocmallow Wed 10-Apr-13 16:55:51

Off to amazon to order that Bill Bryson book Cog - in need of a bloody good laugh!!

I too read Nelson Mandela's awe inspiring book when I was in hospital in 2011 - it certainly gives you food for thought - just wow!!

Also dancing round the house to happy, uplifting music is helping me OP so I'd recommend that too smile

ThinkyPantsWorryWort Wed 10-Apr-13 17:12:37

I totally recommend 'It's called a break up because it's broken'. Really helped me get perspective.

Sorry to hear you're having a rubbish time, hopefully your duvet day has helped?

evenafterallthistime Wed 10-Apr-13 17:20:06

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a walk to the library to get that bill Bryson book cogito.

I hope it helps cheer me up as when I came to check it out i realised why I haven't been to the library since 2011 - £36.16 in fines! ! Possibly the most a book has cost me since uni! Ouch!

I''ll have a look at other recommendations on amazon. There were no relationship books in the library.

chocoreturns Wed 10-Apr-13 18:59:32

it's called a break up because it's broken smile definitely useful!

westendgirl780 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:59:26

Not self help as such, but Heartburn by Nora Ephron is good to read at times like these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now