Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Just sometimes, I worry about my retirement

(4 Posts)

I know that's silly and in any case I am a LONG way off it grin but I do worry about it from time to time.

Perhaps it's largely because of my dad, who simply can't be single and he readily admits one of the reasons for this is that he enjoys holidays (romantic hmm)

I need SolidGoldBrass to talk some sense into me I think - but does anyone else irrationally worry about a future alone?

ArtVandelay Tue 09-Apr-13 09:13:51

Well, if you gave me a choice of my mum's single retired life or MIL's married retired life, i'll take mum's anyday of the week!

Mum has a huge circle of friends, circles really - WI, sports teams, volunteering. She goes on amazing holidays with her friend that likes travelling, she has her own business, pleases herself.

MIL is skivvying round a sour old man, still scrimping on herself, not allowed to do anything that doesn't suit FIL or he does his sulking or clutches his chest (angina or something). It's very sad. And he falls out with people so she has to fall out with them too.

No comparison imo. I dread retirement in case DH turns into his Dad! I put a rocket up his arse everytime he starts moaning or dwelling on illnesses, I'm just not going to be MIL poor woman.

I like that anecdote - thanks! grin

rightchoice2 Tue 09-Apr-13 19:16:02

It could turn out to be the most wonderful time of your life if you let it. Put all the energy and creativity into it that you give to your job. You will be working just for you - working to have fun. Roll on thats what I say, and I was truly dreading it too. Now it is only a blink of an eye away I am happy to indulge myself in dreams of everything I can do when that exciting time arrives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now