Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to make a move?!

(19 Posts)
DippyDoohDahDay Mon 08-Apr-13 20:51:18

Am single after divorce. Really fancy my parents neighbour...he is a single dad, works with his own landscape gardening company. Drives past and smiles and omg that smile!
Not sure he really knows I exist. Need to lose a few pounds, but still have something.. How do I take it forward without looking like a stalker?! I
Live in an apartment with my dcs, so cannot book him to trim my bush, so to speak! But he has that za za zing for me....

DippyDoohDahDay Mon 08-Apr-13 21:09:25

Bumping self

Concentrateonthegood Mon 08-Apr-13 21:15:04

I'm no expert but I would just try to engage him in light chit chat so he has a chance to get to know you and you him. Just be friendly and be yourself and good luck! X

CandlestickOlder Mon 08-Apr-13 21:17:49

Pop round when you're at your parents? But you need an excuse... Erm too much cake and you wondered if he and DC would like some? I'd just brazenly ask him out for a drink. 'I know this is a bit forward but do you fancy a drink on monday night?' or something. He'll be flattered and jump at it i'm sure. Nothing to lose!!!

CandlestickOlder Mon 08-Apr-13 21:18:34

Or ask one day if his DCs fancy coming over to play with your DCs?

DippyDoohDahDay Mon 08-Apr-13 21:21:18

They are good suggestions but he lives about seven doors away so the cup of sugar/spare cake excuses might look too far fetched?!

ohtobecleo Mon 08-Apr-13 21:22:06

I'm with the 'play date' for the kids. Relaxed environment for all to get to know each other. He might not be as great as you think when you actually speak to him ;)

DippyDoohDahDay Mon 08-Apr-13 21:30:36

Mmm, only has his daughter at weekends (I know this from my dad, who gives his dog biscuits when he walks past...omg I do sound like a stalker now !)...maybe it would be easier to set myself up in a rival business then call some kind of truce in our turf war..pardon the pun...desperate times etc!

DippyDoohDahDay Mon 08-Apr-13 21:33:05

His name is Jamie, maybe I could write him a poem about what he could do with his magic torch?!!
Help!

Schlock Mon 08-Apr-13 21:36:18

Oi mate! I 'ave a lady garden wot needs some attention! Then honk your hooters at him.

izzyizin Mon 08-Apr-13 21:38:29

Next time you're at your dps ask your dad to give you the biscuits and tell him you'll do the honours .

Lavish praise on the object of your lust's hound and take it from there - maybe contrive to be walking their way as they pass the door?

DippyDoohDahDay Mon 08-Apr-13 21:39:26

Oh schlock that made me laugh ! The 3 stone ago me would have done that with nobs on!

DippyDoohDahDay Mon 08-Apr-13 21:41:02

So, dog feeding and all that, this calls for a stakeout then? (Proper stalking hat donned?!)

kittybiscuits Mon 08-Apr-13 22:18:42

haha, great suggestions, izzy is clearly an expert. good luck - you deserve some fun and happiness x

DippyDoohDahDay Mon 08-Apr-13 22:30:05

Thanks kitty smile

kittybiscuits Mon 08-Apr-13 23:18:41

you're welcome dippy - hope you're running up and down the street now with the doggy snack smile

cozietoesie Mon 08-Apr-13 23:51:23

Borrow a dog to walk. Surely one of your Dad's other neighbours has one and you could use the excuse with them of wanting some exercise.

(There's some sort of thing between people who walk dogs striking up conversations.)

Verbalpunchbag Tue 09-Apr-13 05:33:02

Do you drive? Let a tyre down, drive from your parents to his, knock on his door and ask for help, offer to take him for a drink to thank him.

mirry2 Tue 09-Apr-13 22:13:10

Do you have a garden? Ask him to come over and give you some advice about plants

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now