Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Facebook help

(26 Posts)
Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 11:30:48

I have posted earlier today about my relationship ending END OF RELATIONSHIP DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL well now I think he may have deleted my account on FB. It was already closed by me but I used to reopen to have sneaky nose now and then. Just tried to do that and it's saying I don't have an account under that email or password. Can he connect his iPhone to my iPad and do it that way?

I feel so down and upset what is he playing at?

Please can anybody help me

Hopasholic Mon 08-Apr-13 11:38:36

If he knows your FB log in & E-mail he can access your account from any PC/iPad/laptop and do whatever he wants with it. Have you searched your name?

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 11:46:27

I had closed facebook account about a yr ago but all I had to do to get back on was type in email and password then it would reopen.

A few weeks ago I noticed when I tried this it said my password had been changed and it even gave a time and said from this iPad. Then today it said i didn't have an account under that email address which is mad cos that's the only email address I've got. What should I do I've lost everything that was on it. What could he have done

Hopasholic Mon 08-Apr-13 12:01:00

So he's logged in from your iPad as I presume it logs you in automatically then he's changed your password? I think you'll have to go onto the help settings and Email FB admin to ask them to reinstate your account. He could have been posting any old crap on your status prior to closing your account.

What's in it for him? Why would he close your account?

Go onto the main FB page rather than the app if that's what you're using and look at the help options.

Hopasholic Mon 08-Apr-13 12:02:04

It's also possible that he's not done anything at all and your account has expired?

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 12:05:18

I don't really understand how it works I'm lost. He changed the password a few weeks ago but the login email stayed he same. Now it's saying I don't have an account under that email how has he done that?

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 12:06:09

Does the account expire? Even if I've been going on and off for a few minutes every few weeks?

DrHolmes Mon 08-Apr-13 12:07:11

I think FB started to delete inactive accounts. They did this with a relative of mine who never logged on.

So your ex might not have anything to do with it.

However, I see you say it had said the password had changed so he must've changed it then whilst in it he has changed your e-mail address to his e-mail address so anything people message/post to you, you will not get it, he will.

If I were you I would report it to FB and tell them his e-maill address and your e-maill address to see if they can look into it.

Can you try and click the "forgotton password" then FB should send a link to your e-mail address. If your ex has changed it you will not recieve the change password e-mail.

Understand?

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 12:17:11

Yes I tried to click forgotten password hoping I could then reset it or they would email me a new one but it then said I didn't have an account under that email address.

I only know one of his email addresses and he could have created another couldn't he to do this?

Been trying to ring FB helpline but hopeless can't get through and I can't see how to report it either

Not bothered about being on FB as such just it's an invasion of privacy if he's done this

Hopasholic Mon 08-Apr-13 12:21:04

Have you put your name into the 'find friends' to see if your picture comes up?

Walkacrossthesand Mon 08-Apr-13 12:27:36

What DrHolmes says - find out what you can by searching for him & yourself, then report to FB so you can hopefully regain ownership of your own account. If you don't get anywhere with searches, contact one of your FB friends by phone/email & ask them what your account looks like... if he's stolen it he's breached FB T&C.

DrHolmes Mon 08-Apr-13 12:30:07

Yeah do what hopasholic said. You might have to create a new account to search people though?

If I were you I would be changing your e-mail password too because he must know it.
To change your e-mail/password on FB they would have sent an email confirmation to both accounts (your one and his one he had changed it to) so he may have logged into your e-mail account and deleted it so you would never know.

DrHolmes Mon 08-Apr-13 12:36:49

Agree with walkacross. If he has done it FB will prob prevent his access to the site.

Although I am not sure how good the security is as he could create a new e-mail account then register with FB that way. But why would he go to such lengths? Why is he trying to spy on you?
I wonder if he is going to start posting awful things as you....hope not but if that is the case you could get a friend to report your page and get them to explain the situation when they report it.

If you get your account back or even set up a new one make sure you set it to Private and search for him and click "block" so he can never see your page or find it for that matter.

ladyjadie Mon 08-Apr-13 12:59:41

Yes, he's logged into your FB account, gone to the settings, gone to change email, changed it to either his or a new one he made up, then logged into your email address, clicked the link to confirm the change and deleted the email from your inbox, then deleted it from your deleted messages. If you can I would contact anyone you know who you may have on your FB friends list (by ringing or email) and see if they can see your reactivated account as you don't know what horrible shit he might be spreading under your name. Or he might just be snooping. But whatever, it's wrong.

ladyjadie Mon 08-Apr-13 13:00:36

Oops X-post with DrHolmes blush

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 13:05:48

My son and daughter were on it I think he's done it to snoop but he could have snooped by just changing the password and logging in couldn't he? Why change email

bunchofposy Mon 08-Apr-13 13:18:15

I deleted my facebook account at Christmas. It took 14 days for it to expire, and during that time I could go on if I wanted to. Is it possible that you haven't accessed it for 14 days?

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 13:22:13

I haven't accessed it for 14 days no. I couldn't as someone ( he) had changed the password and when I clicked forgot password it said no account under that email. If it had just expired surely it wouldn't have said originally about the password change?

DrHolmes Mon 08-Apr-13 13:28:27

I think Facebook maybe have just deleted the account and in that case there wouldn't be an account under your e-mail address.

You are correct that he could have just logged in as you, even without changing password. So this makes me think that it was FB not your ex.

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 13:35:13

But he did change my password a few weeks ago he questioned me about me going on it and when I was out he must have changed it because next time I tried to log in it said password had been changed and gave the date as that day he questioned me.

I can't believe this and I've lost all the info on there

Hopasholic Mon 08-Apr-13 13:44:32

Check your deleted items in your E-mail account. Then change your e-mail account password like DrHolmes <detective?!> said.

Why was he questioning you regarding FB? WTF has it got to do with him?

HedgeHogGroup Mon 08-Apr-13 13:47:14

Are you sure you've got the email address correct? Restart your computer and then try again - you could be typing in an incorrect email address in panic speaks from experience

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 13:52:30

Nothing in my deleted email items box but I delete those regularly.
He knew I was periodically re activating FB and has mad it so I can't now. Looks like its been permanently deleted.

We both closed accounts down 2 yrs ago due to arguments. He then went on to have a twitter and reactivated MySpace account! Yet I'm apparently not allowed to mosey on FB intermittently

SueFawley Mon 08-Apr-13 14:35:39

There are two options with FB. You can deactivate your account. That means that you don't show any longer on feeds/friends lists etc. But every single time you login to FB it reactivates your account, even if you don't post.
The second level is to delete your account. With that option FB gives you two weeks from your deletion request, as mentioned upthread. If you log back in during that two week period the deletion doesn't happen. If you don't login during that period your account is deleted completely.

Brightlydoesit Mon 08-Apr-13 14:43:52

So he has at some point changed my password then I haven't logged in and the account has been deleted. So I have lost all my info now then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now