Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Reasons to be single, 1, 2, 3

(14 Posts)
WMDinthekitchen Sun 07-Apr-13 09:09:13

Not knocking coupledom - wonderful for those who relish it. If, however, you are happily single, what are the three most positive aspects? (To scene-set, my DC are all 18+ and have left home except for university holidays)

1. Peace when I want it. Company when I choose.

2. No emotional extremes - I can deal with difficulties associated with work/friendship/children etc but not with the romantic kind

3. Being able to choose (compromise necessary for all but in relationships I gave in too easily) - food, music, decor, films, holidays

Sheila Sun 07-Apr-13 09:13:17

I think that about covers it OP! Are you already single, or thinking about becoming so?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 07-Apr-13 09:16:13

1. Living life on my own terms
2. Very close relationship with DS

and a close third

... being able to fart with gay abandon

welcometomysillylife Sun 07-Apr-13 09:16:30

1. Letting the house become a tip with no sense of shame/fear and sorting it out in my own time

2. Acting silly/messing around with the kids/putting music on full blast without being made to feel stupid

3. Going out when I like where I like without reporting to anyone

WMDinthekitchen Sun 07-Apr-13 09:19:22

Am long-term single, Sheila!

squistle Sun 07-Apr-13 09:26:15

Nobody touching my things, drinking my coffee, telling me I can't sing in tune, drinking my wine..... oh how I could go on grin

TurnipCake Sun 07-Apr-13 09:33:27

Only three? grin

1. Life on my own terms without having to factor in someone else.

2. I meet more people as a single person, In a relationship, it's mainly couples who only seem interested in talking about relationships.

3. A double bed all to myself

StuffezLaBouche Sun 07-Apr-13 09:34:28

If you decide to go somewhere you can be out of the house and in the car in eight seconds flat.

You know that if you go out leaving the house pristine, it will be pristine when you return.

Peace and quiet!

Sheila Sun 07-Apr-13 09:53:10

As am I WMD!

There are many positives, chief among them that it's infinitely better than living with my horrible XP smile

Imdoingthis Sun 07-Apr-13 10:02:17

I can buy what I want when I want too

I can wear what I want when I want

I can flirt with who I want ( provided their single of course )

MatureUniStudent Sun 07-Apr-13 10:03:39

1. Sitting in bed Mumsnetting for as long as I darned well feel like it.
2. Happy secure children no longer part of the maelstrom of misery their father created to obtain his narcissistic way.
3. Feeling hopeful about the future and laughing, big belly grabbing laughing, the sort where you fear for your bladder grin I had forgotten how much fun having a life under your own control is.

skaboy Sun 07-Apr-13 10:07:23

I've been single for two months now and the things I like best are:

I'm my own boss (at least during the times when I don't have the kids) and can literally do what I want during that time.

When I introduce myself I am <name> rather than <name>, who is husband of <name>, and therefore people get to know me as me.

Also actually I have been getting to know myself after so long being part of a couple.

There are a few downsides which I won't mention as this is supposed to be a positive thread!

BrawToken Sun 07-Apr-13 10:12:02

I have been single sine Friday (well, for a few months but he finally left on Friday). I feel so much lighter. Except for the increased financial burden but once I am on top of that, I cannot wait for my life with my beautiful girls to begin smile

akaWisey Sun 07-Apr-13 11:42:12

1. I'm sitting in my PJ's and it's almost lunchtime <lazy emoticon>. Time was and I'd have been bashing about with the hoover by now. No one else here to raise a judgmental eyebrow!

2. I have more cash to spare and hence there are more shoes as a result.

3. I actually WANT to be single for the first time post divorce. I think that should prob be reason number 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now