Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

First meet with family

(10 Posts)
SarahGoodwin33 Fri 05-Apr-13 12:58:16

Hi All
For those of you who don't know I am transsexual (there's a reason I mention that at the outset!). You can see me on Style pics if you want to know what I look like....!
I have been sort of dating a guy (obviously he knows about me!) and it's the closest i have felt to anyone for years. He treats me so well and I really feel that this could be long term.
I have dealt with all sorts of prejudice over the years as you can imagine and found myself in varying types of difficult situations but for once in my very dramatic life I feel as if I am truly the person I wanted to be (only took 30 odd years!).
I am due to meet his younger sister and her friend on Sunday and I am obviously looking forward to it but also nervous. I will expect them to be a little apprehensive too as I am told they have never met a TS before.
Of course I want to be treated like any other woman but I am not daft enough to kid myself and have learnt that some people do find it a little awkward (I think of the first time I gave me Dad a peck on the cheek....!)
We are going to a country pub for a drink and maybe lunch and then there is talk of possibly going to his Mum's ......yikes
I just wondered if any women on here would have thoughts on how they would dress for this? My normal look is white stuff/boden esq knee length skirts and jumper but I feel perhaps I should be a little understated and simply go for skinny jeans and big jumper or Leggings/dress top?
Part of me wants to look a bit 'glammed up' but other part says play it down.
Thoughts?

hobbknob Fri 05-Apr-13 14:28:53

Wow, you look gorgeous in your pics!

I would go low key if its a country pub, you don't want to feel a bit too over the top, ESP if other people are in willies and wax jackets!
Some jeans and a nice jumper sounds perfect, maybe that with some nice boots and a colourful scarf

Good luck and have a fab time

hobbknob Fri 05-Apr-13 14:30:03

Ahem, that should be wellies and wax jackets. Autocorrect fail!!!!

towicymru Fri 05-Apr-13 14:31:47

Go in something you feel comfortable in! You'll be nervous enough without worrying or feeling uncomfortable. You are also more likely to come across as you if you are relaxed & comfortable. Your DP loves you for who you are!

Good luck. Hope it goes well x

QueenofWhispers Fri 05-Apr-13 14:35:57

you're stunning!

smile

I would go in dressy/casual leggings and a solid coloured tunic--I look good in Blue, since you like White, go for it and then some knee high boots? scarf and don't forget your accessories!

Willow36 Fri 05-Apr-13 15:15:31

Wowzers! You are stunning!

Not all country pubs are full of people in wellies and wax jackets wink

I agree to go with something you feel comfortable in and if you feel comfortable in a knee length skirt and jumper then go for it.

Oh and if you wear skinny jeans, you don't need to wear a big jumper. Don't hide yourself away. smile

SarahGoodwin33 Fri 05-Apr-13 16:12:20

that is very sweet of you re the kind comments about pic. I am very self concious (even after leading double life for 15 years before making the change) and whilst people tell me that I look completely convincing as a born woman and still need convincing!
I must admit that I like to express my feminity when appropriate and part of me wants to wear a nice dress or something but also feel that it is more appropriate to dress down a little to suit the enviroment.
I think jeans and dress top with nice scarf will be best and depending how cold it is either ballet shoes or knee boots.
Thanks again

Cailinsalach Fri 05-Apr-13 17:59:15

Hi Sarah.
I hope it goes well meeting the rellies. I bet whatever you wear, you will wear it well.
Will you pop back and give us an update?

TroublesomeEx Fri 05-Apr-13 18:25:18

Yeah you don't look as though you'd need to cover up in a big jumper if you're wearing jeans to me. wink

You look amazing.

I'd probably go for knee boots if there's a walk involved. There doesn't need to be much mud for ballet pumps to be a big mistake.

Good luck x

Ouchmyhead Fri 05-Apr-13 23:40:32

Good luck with meeting them! It's so scary meeting the OH family for the first time! I'd say wear what you feel comfortable in, you can easily dress down a dress with tights and flat boots or ballet shoes if you prefer wearing dresses. I've seen your pictures and all your clothes look good so I bet whatever you wear you'll look amazing in! Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Can I also say, I really hope this doesn't sound rude, and I'm a bit worried about typing it incase I offend you, but with what you said before about you get told you are completely convincing as girl, well I've never seen pictures or met a transsexual before, and if you hadn't of been so open I'd of never have guessed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now