Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Yes, they do use those cliches

(12 Posts)
NotSoEdenRoc Fri 05-Apr-13 12:18:09

I met someone in the village pub a couple of weeks ago. I've seen him in the pub quite a few times, always thought he was attractive, but never got talking to him or to his mates. We just had a quick chat and the conversation ended with just the usual pleasantries, ie he didn't try to get my number or take me home etc. So I just assumed he wasn't interested, even though he said he was single.

Anyway, saw him again last night and we chatted for about two hours altogether. He was absolutely chatting me up with a view to getting a shag last night. However he went on to tell me that he's actually got a DP but they're as good as single because they haven't had sex for over a year, hmm the relationship has been over since their DC was about 5, and he's only staying with his DP because of DC. Who is now 19 hmm

Obviously I gave him a knock back of monumental proportions, but really? I thought they weren't stupid enough to use those cliches any longer?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 05-Apr-13 12:57:03

Wouldn't it be funny if it was actually true for once smile

NotSoEdenRoc Fri 05-Apr-13 13:02:35

If I knew his DP, I'd be tempted to ask her!

BasilBabyEater Fri 05-Apr-13 13:06:16

If it were true for once, he should be doing something about his relationship - either ending it or improving it - instead of hitting on a third party.

Leavenheath Fri 05-Apr-13 13:15:56

They still come out with this tosh because there are still women around who believe it.

NotSoEdenRoc Fri 05-Apr-13 13:20:57

YY Leaven. I'm actually offended that he must have thought I was gullible enough to fall for it.

Leavenheath Fri 05-Apr-13 13:30:02

A workmate was once told by a bloke that he was only staying for the children.

She'd done her homework though and had asked around. Was quite an amusing story about him spluttering into his drink when she said with thick sarcasm "But they are 24 and 26 and have left home!"

Beckamaw Sat 06-Apr-13 16:05:53

My ex-twat fed that line to a girl at work. We actually weren't having regular sex. The thing was, I was 6 months pregnant and suffering such vile heartburn that I slept very little.
In order to preserve his precious sleep, ex-twat had moved into the spare room.
On this basis they started an affair.
Apparently he needed some titilation. Apparently I needed a divorce.

smile

AnyFucker Sat 06-Apr-13 16:08:59

There are women stupid enough to fall for it, that is why they chance it

Imagine, if only 1 in 100 daft females believe them if they just keep trying they will strike lucky eventually

McBalls Sat 06-Apr-13 16:15:42

Is it really the case that there are women stupid enough to believe it?
Of is it a sort of unspoken 'deal'?
Like, ' I'm in a relationship, if that's a total no-go for you then fair enough, but if you just need a little help to give yourself permission then I'll say those magic words "we are not intimate, and only together for the DC sake" we both know its bollocks, but now you can hide behind that and pretend that having an affair is something you'd never do...'

That's what I've always assumed, anyway.

HairyGrotter Sat 06-Apr-13 16:17:23

I've heard that line many times, just recently actually. It's tiresome and utterly vile.

Off you fuck, buddy, off you fuck.

AnyFucker Sat 06-Apr-13 16:18:37

I'd like to think it was more stupidity McB, but I suspect you might be right in a lot of cases

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now